What will "Delay Defrost" do if I turn it on? (Model RF23A9671SR/AA)

Questions are related to refrigerator setting/configuration with SmartThings app.
The refrigerator model number is RF23A9671SR/AA

As the title, What will the “Delay Defrost” do if I turn this option on?
Will it start defrosting?
In what circumstances should I turn this option on?

Thanks in advance.

Hey there! @blackpig, Welcome to the Community! :slight_smile:

This is a component of your 4-Door Flex refrigerator’s (3) Energy Management Functions, such as Operational Status, Energy Consumption Reporting, and lastly ‘Delay Defrost’.

The Delay Defrost Capability function saves energy by delaying the defrost operation to a time specified by the user. You can configure the time and this function will save energy during the specified period in a 24-hour cycle. If the time is not set, the function works with the default time settings.

The default time settings are listed below:

• 6 am to 10 am 1st. November ~ 30th. April
  • 3 pm to 7 pm 1st. May ~ 31th. October

You can change the time setting for the Delay Defrost Capability on the app.

Addtionally, I’ve attached a link to the User Manual from the Samsung Download Center for your specific model: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202105/20210503101145365/DA68-04023H-01_MANUAL_USERS_EN_MES_CFR_RF9000A.pdf

I hope this message finds you well!

^SamsungZell

1 Like

Thanks SamsungZell.
I reviewed the manual and I guess I just want to confirm if the “Delay Defrost” function is turned on, the fridge will execute defrosting operation at the time specified?

1 Like

Yes, you are correct. If set to on the action will occur at the specified time by the user. If turned off, it will mirror the default times shown above.

I hope this message finds you well!

^SamsungZell

1 Like

Hi,

Can you Please clarify: if the Delay Defrost is turned off in the Smart Things App, does the refrigerator still cause the refrigerator “delay defrost” mode to defrost only in the two preset default times or does it not work at all when off and the refrigerator automatically defrosts another way??

If off, it still defrosts, but uses Samsung’s presets
If on, it still defrosts, but uses whatever schedule you provide.
Either way, the fridge defrosts.