What has happened to this platform?!?!

Nope, haven’t even tried to integrate Hue into ST yet at any level. None of the bulbs or light strips are in ST.

My addresses are as follows:
Main router in basement: 192.168.2.1
Wireless router on 2nd floor, cable home run to other router: 192.168.2.2

Wireless router is identical to wired, configured per manufacturer spec as a wireless repeater for the main router
Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0

ST is 192.168.2.23 off the wireless router
Hue is 192.168.2.151 off the main router, on ground floor

I will run a tracert this weekend, and see what comes up.
Then I will move the Hue to the wireless router, and see what happens

I’m almost willing to bet this is the issue.

That’s perfect that the bulbs aren’t setup. So much less painful :slight_smile:

And you would have won the bet. The moment they went onto the same Ethernet router, ST saw it right away.

For anyone setting up Hue with ST, the ST hub and Hue bridge need to be on the same router/switch.

1 Like

My Hue Bridge is on a separate switch without a problem. I guess it depends if the router is bridging the LAN comprehensively or not.

2 Likes

Do I get a beer?

Did you move the Bridge back to 192.168.2.1 to see if everything still functions?

Hmmm. I’ve been in networking for a long time. My arrangement should have worked; there’s no way, with my subnet mask, there should have been any issues.

Some time this weekend I will return the Hue to the other hub and see what happens.

EDIT: btw, there are no issues so far with comm between any of the three systems (ST, Hue, WiFi) sitting side-by-side in the cabinet.

1 Like

My guess is the second router is still using NAT, causing you to have two separate networks. Since you mention having a Cat5 connection between them, the second one should be in Access Point mode, if it supports it. This disables its DHCP server, disables NAT routing, and allows the WAN port to behave like an extra LAN port to connect to the main router.

Thanks… but the wireless one is indeed in access point mode. Has been since I set it up a couple years ago.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that even though it is on the same subnet, that it is treating 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2 just the same as if it were 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1.

I don’t know anything about networking, just want to make sure @WB70 get his :beer: :beers:

1 Like

It’s not my forte by any means. I just dot i’s and cross’s t’s. Sometimes illogicial is logical especially in this world. Backasswards troubleshooting is what I do.

I’m not going to be on much for awhile and I’m only reading a few posts when I am, but I wanted to just make two quick comments. ( I haven’t read this entire thread, so forgive me if these have already been mentioned.)

1. SmartThings and the Hue bridge do not communicate via zigbee at all. They communicate via LAN. The zigbee channels they are using is still relevant because of potential interference, but it’s relevant in the way that the channels that two apartment neighbors might be using is relevant. You want these set far apart to reduce potential interference.

If you are using Wi-Fi mesh or or have set up some similar kind of equivalent, all bets are off as to whether smartthings will discover your bridge because of the way SuperLAN Connect works. So you may need support to help you track down the issues.

1. There are currently some known issues with the official smartthings/Hue integration, particularly if you are on a beta for either one. And that includes if you are using the “Hue labs” options from Phillips – – those are actually all beta versions.

If you are having trouble getting a Hue bridge to join your account, contact support. It’s quite likely that they will have to be involved for any of several different reasons. Or at least they can help pinpoint the problem quicker.

2 Likes

His issue was simply that the ST hub was connected to one router and the Hue Bridge connected to another even though they are on the same subnet.

So for clarification the Zigbee communication with Hue is only between the bulbs and Hue Bridge?

Or

Once the bulbs have been added to ST via the Bridge discovery via LAN, they communicate independent of the Bridge individually via Zigbee with ST?

As for the devices (bulbs) themselves they are represented as children of the Bridge in IDE.

And welcome back, even if it is only for a few minutes at a time. Hope all went well.

That makes sense. Like I said, I didn’t read the whole thread. But that’s similar to the Wi-Fi meshing issue.

[quote=“JDRoberts, post:96, topic:114503”]
SmartThings and the Hue bridge do not communicate via zigbee at all. They communicate via LAN. The zigbee channels they are using is still relevant because of potential interference, but it’s relevant in the way that the channels that two apartment neighbors might be using is relevant.
[/quote]
So for clarification
A) the Zigbee communication with Hue is only between the bulbs and Hue Bridge?
Or
B) Once the bulbs have been added to ST via the Bridge discovery via LAN, they communicate independent of the Bridge individually via Zigbee with ST?

A). The hue bridge and the zigbee bulbs are communicating with each other via the ZLL profile. That’s one network.

Any bulb which communicates directly with the smartthings hub is using a ZHA profile and would be a different network.

Communication from the smartthings hub to the hue bridge is via LAN, not zigbee. ( not Wi-Fi, either, which is why the perceived branch matters.)

The smartthings hub sends a request to the hue bridge, which sends the command on to the individual bulb.

1 Like

So for outgoing from the ST Hub (turning bulb on):

1. If you have integrated the Hue Bridge
  • Command is sent via the LAN to Hue Bridge
  • Hue Bridge then sends command to bulb via Zigbee ZLL
  1. For directly integrated Hue bulbs (No Bridge)
  • ST sends commands to bulb via Zigbee ZHA

That’s it in a nutshell?

@ogiewon
I have Lowes Iris Smartplugs and used the DTH you referet to. I lately changed to [RELEASE] Iris SmartPlug Z-Wave Repeater with Diagnostics which also allows diagnostic of the repetear

1 Like

A switch is just a port multiplier for the router. As such, all devices are on the same subnet and communicate with each other. Two routers on the other hand is something quite different.

Set second router as AP and your problems vanish.
What you have now is what’s called double NAT and unless your router allows bridging the 2 subnets in settings, the 2 subnets are isolated.

1 Like

Thanks… but As noted earlier in this thread, the wireless router has been set up as an access point for some years. Might be an issue with older netgear routers? I’m up to date on firmware…

As for “problems vanish”, that occurred when the Hue bridge moved onto the same router. Think I’ll leave it that way for now, since it’s working and there’s no particular need to change it in this moment :smirk:

You got me confused. Isn’t netgear your old router?

Also, I missed when you say it was AP.

I have one router and 2 other as AP. When I converted an old one in AP I also did a factory reset.

That’s because now they both are on the same subnet.

They are both netgear, same model 3700 same age, purchased together, specifically to set one up as an access point.