What can you use the dumbest wifi motion sensor for? NEO Coolcam (includes Tasker instructions in Post 10)

@Spaka reached out via PM, but I wanted to post the discussion here publicly in case it helps anyone else who finds this thread.

As @JDRoberts alluded to, you can use Tasker to capture notifications on Android and can use the SharpTools Tasker plugins to integrate with SmartThings.

Tasker is developed by a different developer, João Dias, and is really is a powerful tool that allows you to build custom automations. Each persons automations might be slightly different, but I can provide some high-level pointers to get you going in the right direction. If you have any specific questions about the SharpTools side of things, I’d be happy to answer those.

For Tasker specific questions, the /r/tasker subreddit is a very helpful community.

:warning: One thing I would note is that Tasker is definitely more of a Tinkerer’s paradise and will likely require reading the documentation.

Summary

Tasker breaks things down into two components:

• Profile - which includes the events or states that trigger Tasker to start doing something
  • Task - the actions that occur when a profile is triggered

Tasker has the ability to react to received notifications using the Event > UI > Notification feature. You can use the filters in the event configuration screen to filter down to just the notifications you want:

Many people prefer to use one of the many third-party Tasker plugins which have more features and control for capturing notifications though. The two most popular are probably AutoNotification and Notification Listener. Each of these plugins provide deeper control over capturing notifications and getting details from these notifications in the form of Variables. For example, you could capture the title or message as a variable and then use that later in your action.

Task

Once you capture your notification, you’ll have to decide what you want to do with it. This is done in the Task that you’ll create for the profile. Tasks can have any number of actions and logic within them.

In your case, you’ll likely want to create a Simulated Motion Sensor within the SmartThings IDE:

Then you can use the Plugin > SharpTools > A Thing action to control that simulated motion sensor sending the relevant active() or inactive() command based on the notification that you receive from your app:

3 Likes