What are your plans for lighting?

Maybe I should clarify what my desire is:
-Id like my lights reliably to come on with the schedule, so the most reliable system gets huge +1
-Id very much like to keep number of hubs to minimum, but I could maybe live with Hue Hub since I might do some internal lighting with Hue
-I´m not afraid of doing some hacking, while I´m new I´d like to get to know custom device types and smartapps and whatnot

I think your first judgment is right here: I would go with the Fibaro dimmer. For one thing, most of the bulbs are not rated for outside use. The Fibaro would just give you a lot more options.

As far as your specific questions:

While it is possible to connect Hue bulbs directly to smartthings without the Hue bridge, it is not recommended for some technical reasons. Only connecting to the Hue bridge is officially supported.

You do not need the Osram gateway to connect the Osram bulbs or the LIFX gateway to connect the LIFX bulbs to SmartThings.

Thanks for the reply.

So LIFX and Osram work “locally” and could in theory work without internet connection, while Hue needs to talk cloud to cloud between the two hubs? Or have i misunderstood?

Osram works locally through the normal zigbee protocol.

Both LIFX and Hue now use custom integrations built by SmartThings in consultation with those manufacturers. They do connect over the local network, not cloud to cloud. ( The previous smart things/Hueintegration was cloud to cloud, so there is discussion of that in the forms, but it was updated in mid 2015 to a local connection. )

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200848024-Connecting-Philips-hue-to-SmartThings

I believe the only current official cloud to cloud lightning integration right now is TCP. But it’s not working at present in the UK due to the oauth problem.

I also need to clarify that “connects locally” does not mean the same thing as “smartthings can control this device if there is no connection to the smart things cloud via the Internet.”

That is because smartthings’ own account authentication takes place in the cloud.

If your Internet connection to the smartthings cloud was lost, at present the only thing that can run is the smart lighting smartapp, and then only with a few device types. The official Osram bulb type would be one of those, I’m honestly not sure about the Fibaro, but I think so. Best to verify if that will be a factor in the purchase decision.

Your Hue bulbs would continue to be controllable through your Hue bridge as long as your local Wi-Fi was up, but your smart things automations would not run with them.

So there is a distinction between “local connection” and “local processing.”

Staff have said that additional device types will be approved for local processing in the future, but no specific timelines have been given.

Oh I´m very glad you clarified this.

Ill ask around about FIbaro dimmers…

1 Like

Local connection is still good, because it means the communications pass more quickly and considerable lag can be removed once the message is approved for transmission. But there is still that authentication step that goes to your account in the cloud unless there is also local processing.

Amazon 4 for 3 is now active again, I just bought 4 Osram RGB bulbs.

1 Like