Wemo issues

I ripped out all the Wemo’s from my house. A useless waste of money. Not only did they not work reliably with ST, they didn’t work reliably with their own app.

Never, ever again.

Neither seem to be available. I wish Chrome would hurry up with android app support. I got it to work a little bit but then chrome updated and it stopped working.

All three of the apps you’re using: Tasker, SharpTools, and Mike P’s WemoManager are currently android only.

Mike P posts a lot in the Belkin forums, said back in December that he may eventually make an iOS version but it will be “a long ways off.”

Also note in the same thread many people report problems with WeMo once you have a Wi-Fi repeater. This may help explain why some people have more problems than others.

http://community.wemothat.com/t5/WEMO-Application/Bug-Report-Belkin-Support-Engineering-Folks-Please-Read/td-p/6022

I heard that and I do have one that I lit up again recently.

That is why I left iOS years ago, it is way to limiting

For me, as for many people with physical limitations, iOS is much more freeing as accessibility options are enabled consistently at the OS level. I never have to worry when I recommend an iOS app to another person who is a quad or who is visually impaired if it will work for them. If it works for me, it works for them, as long as they are at a particular iOS level.

Android, on the other hand, varies radically from one manufacturer to another, let alone one OS level to another, and there is nothing to require that accessibility options all be enabled in the same way. When I was considering a Samsung phone earlier this year, for example, I called to ask about some accessibility options, and the person told me she had to know which carrier I was using since the features varied.

So I stay with iOS, because they have shown a significant commitment to accessibility and it’s a “works everywhere” implementation.

I’m sure Android works better for many people, just saying sometimes a closed ecosystem has benefits for some use cases as well.

FWIW

Yea I agree, iOS is much less messed around with.from what I’ve seen from android. I like that the physical device is under apple’s control and there’s not 50 different terrible skins that you have to futz with.

1 Like

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and there are no skins to mess with, just the default one. there are additional ones of course, but that is totally optional. I have had a HTC android before and I have an ASUS android tablet. Each skin was 99% the same as the others in my opinion.

Right but it’s not stock android. It’s different than “nexus” lollipop which would drive be batty. I’ve screen glanced at my friends galaxies and the number of taps the do to get to something that I do looks painful, even the ones who I would consider power users like myself.

Welcome to the Android VS iOS discussion post!

I just bought a WeMo switch hoping to get voice-control integration via Amazon Echo. I just can’t get the WeMo Switch to install and work properly even just with its own iOS app, let alone connecting to Echo or SmartThings. I thought the first WeMo I bought through Amazon might have been defective - especially after reading about how easy many find it to set up - so I returned it and ordered another. After spending an hour with Belkin customer support via chat they concluded the second unit is defective. Not sure what to think but I guess I’ll have to wait for Echo to work with other devices or directly with SmartThings to get the functionality I want.

@aschechtman I have one WeMo switch, and it functions properly with ST about fifty or sixty percent of the time. When I first purchased the switch (maybe a couple years back) it would lose connection using its own app constantly, but after many firmware updates it almost always (95%+) functions as expected with the WeMo app. Using ST is another story.

Thanks @pd_ - Hanging on the firmware update was the first sign of problems as I tried to get it working. But even with tech support I could never get it to successfully do the firmware update - it would just get stuck for 20 min. My WeMo adventure is a couple of hours of my life I’ll never get back but isn’t it all worth it when it all comes together just the way you want it to?

My wemos are somewhere in the waste basket in my basement. Anyone interested can have it for free but for the shipping (not worth it)… :wink:

1 Like

Any update on this interaction ?? having more and more interation problems with ST lost my quirky power strips and now wemo not working kinda annoying

1 Like

I found a way to get smartthings and wemo to work together 100% of the time. It requires you to use android, tasker, and sharptools. I have a detailed write up here Smartthings and Wemo light switches finally working together

1 Like

Hello, all. I have a bit simpler way to help the Wemo devices to work consistently all within SmartThings, without SharpTools, and without the separate Wemo App. It is much simpler than all of my text below. I’d love to make a video, but not this week. Please read further.

The one-time setup: The back-end work is done via IFTTT (which installs itself into your SmartThings list of apps), and you simply create a virtual device on/off switch(s) to represent each of your WeMo things. By granting IFTTT access to your virtual switch(s) and Wemo physical things, your Wemo physical switches will now work mainly because “Wemo was made to work with IFTTT,” says SmartThings support to me. See below for how to create a virtual on/off device.

Now, you can just as easily control your Wemo things all within SmartThings via the virtual on/off button(s). (It is just a normal switch, regardless that it is virtual). Note: I recommend to keep your original Wemo things added in SmartThings in addition to these new virtual on/off buttons. I’ll explain later.

If you’ve never dealt with IFTTT, it is pretty intuitive; just follow the instructions after creating an account, and proceed to create your custom recipes. Each recipe will consist of IF the SmartThings virtual on/off button is turned on, THEN turn on the Wemo thing. You will have to have a separate recipe to turn it off since there currently is not any toggle available within IFTTT’s channel for SmartThings. (That’s not such a big deal. Continue reading.)

How to create virtual switches, thanks to @chuckles : Virtual Switch to turn on/off Multiple Lights Based on IFTTT Trigger Event?
I recommend using a prefix letter “v” for the name of the virtual on/off button for better identification, and to avoid confusion later. i.e. vFan or vFloorLamp

As I first said, this all is WAY simpler than it sounds, and is nice and clean within SmartThings as a normal thing. Just to note, because you’re now using IFTTT (another cloud service), the local processing of the new v2 hub will not apply here. That means if your internet access stops or if the SmartThings cloud is interrupted, then your WeMo switch won’t work. In that event, you still can use the WeMo app on your phone or tablet to control your WeMo devices via your wireless network.

Please note: your original WeMo thing(s) in the WeMo Connect SmartThings Labs app may become out of sync by showing ON when it is actually OFF, and vice versa. It may be best to just remove the WeMo Connect SmartThings Labs app and its WeMo things since it is no longer needed with this configuration.

1 Like

Good news. WeMo devices working reliably again.

As of the last week, I’ve tried going back to the WeMo Labs SmartThings app to interact with my WeMo switches. To my surprise, they now operate near 100% reliable and much faster than via IFTTT. The reason I desired to abandon IFTTT as a means to work switches is because of the 5+ second latency. While the above steps outline an alternative to WeMo Labs smart app, it is still contingent on the SmartThings’ IFTTT integration to function as expected, too. (Maybe optionally use both together for redundancy in case the other doesn’t toggle the switch?)

Perhaps the many recent platform updates/additions have helped bring stability to WeMo devices? What is your experience lately?

I’ll set a reminder to ask you how things are going in a few weeks. Typically Wemo integration would work great for about a week with me, then it just kind of forgets how to succeed at it’s one purpose in life…
Good luck!

1 Like

No need to wait any longer - I can confirm that Wemo is still not working (using a Wemo light switch and 2 Wemo Insight switches, and the new STv2 hub and latest firmware). And it’s not an IP address / DHCP issue either, because I’m losing integration daily (sometimes faster). Here’s the behavior I’m seeing…

• The device status in SmartThings app stops accurately reflecting the true on/off status of just the Wemo devices, while they are accurately reflected in the native Wemo app.
  • Pressing the “ON” button in ST turns on the Wemo light, but the status in ST gets stuck in a “Turning On” state.
  • Eventually the ST app refreshes and shows the light I just turned on as back to an “OFF” state (when it’s actually on).
  • No further control is possible, as pressing the button in ST just tries to turn on a light that is already on.
  • Navigate to “SmartApps > Wemo (Connect) > Done” resets everything to start working again. No change in any setting is needed - just open Wemo (Connect) app and click Done to save your non-changes.
  • Repeat when it stops working again. Eventually return/sell Wemo switches. Replace them with something else.

@kroyster, you want to try the workaround steps I have outlined below using both IFTTT and SmartThings together for toggling on/off. When you have an event to turn on a WeMo switch, specify BOTH the SmartThings WeMo switch AND the virtual switch, and same for turning off. The virtual switch is a redundancy measure which issues a second on or off command in case SmartThings fails. IFTTT is more reliable, but use the SmartThings WeMo switch in combination.
I’ve been enjoying my WeMo switches ever since!

1 Like