Weekly Update from Alex - 06/09/16

@alex @slagle

I have several GE outlets that are controlled by GE switches. I use Smart Lighting to toggle the outlets when the switch is toggled. Example is my master bedroom where I have one outlet physically wired to a switch. The switch controls the one wired switch but through Smart Lighting, two GE outlets will toggle as well. One of your platform updates in the last many months causes Smart Lighting to send a command to the outlets every 15 minutes. I would assume this is some sort of safe guard for state accuracy, but its also very annoying. Sometimes my wife wants to leave just her light on while she is reading in bed. She turns off the main switch and all lights go out, she then turns on just her light through the app and all is good for about 15 minutes and her light will turn off since the main switch is off. Bad for WAF!

I reported the issue to support a while back and they said development is working on it but it hasn’t made the cut for the past several weeks. I am hoping this will be addressed soon. I had to stop using Smart Lighting for another switch/outlet because of this issue. I need the ability to control the outlet independently and remain ON if the switch is off.

When Smart Lighting was released, I was able remove many of the Smart Apps I had written since Smart Lighting addressed most of my use cases and it runs locally. But because of this issue, I am having to complicate my setup again. Thanks for your attention on this issue!