Weather API Changes

What are you using to see the alerts? I can’t seem to get the syntax right.

I know right now there is a dense fog alert for our location, but the alerts is returning null unless I don’t have it right. See my above posts as to what I tried.

Figured it out.

def wxalerts = getTwcAlerts("36.67,-93.34")
log.debug "Alert = ${wxalerts[0]['phenomena']}, Description = ${wxalerts[0]['eventDescription']}"
log.debug "Alert = ${wxalerts[1]['phenomena']}, Description = ${wxalerts[1]['eventDescription']}"
1 Like

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the alert types or phenomena codes? In the old system there was a 3 character type. Apparently in this system there is a 2 character. But I have searched and can’t find a listing of those. I am only interested in certain ones so need that info to effectively limit my alerts to the ones I want. I figured out FL is flash flood, and BZ is blizzard.

Any chance you could provide a method to get the TWC 48-hour hourly forecast?

What happens if the API call fails for whatever reason? Do these methods throw an exception? Return a null value or ?? I don’t see any mention of how to handle failures in the documentation

I assume this is why my use of the getDevice routine to grab the weather tile is no longer returning icon names, and instead giving nonsense. I will rewrite my tile to use TWC instead. You might consider grabbing the names of the forecast and creating compatible icon names for backward compat purposes.

Users of HousePanel in the meantime, please be patient as the icons in your weather tiles will be broken.

3 Likes

Darnit! … ActionTiles’s official Weather Tile is affected too!
Even though @625alex and I were assured it would not be affected.

:angry:

…Terry.

3 Likes

Yup… my tile look equally empty.

There are three new text fields where the first word appears to be the same name as the icon, so I think you could scrape the name from there and apply as before. I’m using this as an opportunity to move on to a different approach for weather tile. I already have Frame weather tiles that most of my users prefer anyway, so this isn’t too horrible, but I hate surprises…

I’m so pissed at TWC/IBM @tgauchat myself… for over 5 years I shared my 3 stations weather data and this API change really pissed me off. They want YOU to make 3 API calls now for the same damn info we were getting from WU API. Just fuc*ery to the max.

3 Likes

I get a similar problem on Zip. My town and Madrid ES have the same “Zip Code.” So much for US data…

I too am curious why I can still successfully use my PWS:XXXXX in the zip field for takissd’s SmartWeather Station Tile 2.0, but doing so in the stock SmartWeather Station Tile fails. If I remove PWS:XXXXX in SmartWeather Station Tile I get results but no longer from my PWS on my roof :frowning:
The display of SmartWeather Station Tile in Action tiles is much better and is preferred but also using my PWS.

1 Like

Think I figured out a potential explanation to my question.
I suppose that when ST moved the stock SmartWeather Station Tile to use the new TWC API, that PWS was lost. takissd DH still calls old methods that work with PWS and although were supposed to be turned off today, probably actually weren’t. So without an update, takissd DH will likely fail when the old calls are in fact decommissioned.
I have an API key and would love to figure out how to add it to the updated SmartWeather Station Tile to get my PWS data again…

Request app from rboy

Still works for me!

2 Likes

As an fyi this was the official email:

The WU API has been around since 2010 to help you develop apps and websites as well as manage your Personal Weather Station data. During that time, we’ve watched you build amazing products and visualize weather data with creativity and purpose.

Over the years, our infrastructure has been unable to keep up with the growing numbers of users coming to us for API data. This has led to higher costs as we worked to keep the service stable and dependable. Eventually, we realized we’d need to make drastic changes or risk serious problems for our API.

As a result, we’ve made the difficult decision to retire the Weather Underground API. The Weather Company, which acquired WU back in 2012, offers a powerful suite of enterprise-grade APIs that might be better suited to meet your scale and performance needs while offering a broader range of weather data. You can see these products here.

Here’s what you need to know going forward:

Your subscriptions, and therefore access, will continue to work through 12/31/2018.

If you are a paying WU API customer, you will receive a call from a representative from The Weather Company, and IBM business, to discuss transition options to other API services. If you’d like to have these conversations sooner, contact us.

If you are a Personal Weather Station owner, you will receive more information about our plan to offer free access to the data you provide to Weather Underground. We’ll reach out once that plan has been finalized.

For developers who use WU API data for non-commercial purposes, you will have access to a new plan for a personal use, low call volume API. Stay tuned for more details as we build this out.

The WU Forum will continue to be the best place to connect, keep you informed, share your feedback and get your questions answered as we go through this process.

We are grateful for your commitment to Weather Underground and appreciate your understanding and support as we work through this process. These changes will allow us to continually improve our services and develop new features to keep WU a thriving place for you for many years to come.

Thanks for being part of the community! Sincerely, The WU Team The WU API has been around since 2010 to help you develop apps and websites as well as manage your Personal Weather Station data. During that time, we’ve watched you build amazing products and visualize weather data with creativity and purpose.

Over the years, our infrastructure has been unable to keep up with the growing numbers of users coming to us for API data. This has led to higher costs as we worked to keep the service stable and dependable. Eventually, we realized we’d need to make drastic changes or risk serious problems for our API.

As a result, we’ve made the difficult decision to retire the Weather Underground API. The Weather Company, which acquired WU back in 2012, offers a powerful suite of enterprise-grade APIs that might be better suited to meet your scale and performance needs while offering a broader range of weather data. You can see these products here.

Here’s what you need to know going forward:

Your subscriptions, and therefore access, will continue to work through 12/31/2018.

If you are a paying WU API customer, you will receive a call from a representative from The Weather Company, and IBM business, to discuss transition options to other API services. If you’d like to have these conversations sooner, contact us.

If you are a Personal Weather Station owner, you will receive more information about our plan to offer free access to the data you provide to Weather Underground. We’ll reach out once that plan has been finalized.

For developers who use WU API data for non-commercial purposes, you will have access to a new plan for a personal use, low call volume API. Stay tuned for more details as we build this out.

The WU Forum will continue to be the best place to connect, keep you informed, share your feedback and get your questions answered as we go through this process.

We are grateful for your commitment to Weather Underground and appreciate your understanding and support as we work through this process. These changes will allow us to continually improve our services and develop new features to keep WU a thriving place for you for many years to come.

Thanks for being part of the community! Sincerely, The WU Team

The new icons don’t have labels but the mapping of the icons can be found here:

The corresponding icon map is found here:
https://console.bluemix.net/docs/services/Weather/weather_rest_apis.html#icon_code_images

6 Likes

Just got this today in email

Please respond to this email so that I know you’ve received it. Also posted on the Forum. --Victoria

We’d like to reiterate a few things and let you know of a few small timing changes as we move closer to the previously announced retirement of the Weather Underground API:

Based on the response to the previous announcement as we neared year end, we have extended the retirement date to February 15, 2019 to allow you more transition time.

All Weather Underground API keys will stop working on February 15, 2019 unless otherwise agreed upon with Weather Underground.

All credit card charges for existing Weather Underground API subscriptions will stop on December 26, 2018.

Personal Weather Station (PWS) owners/contributors will continue to be eligible for a free replacement API service selected from our IBM/Weather Company standard offerings that contain:

Current observations from the PWS network

• 5 day daily forecast
  • PWS historical data
  • PWS lookup by geocode, zip code and location
  • Call volume: 1500/day, 30/minute

You can check out our PWS contributor replacement API documentation here.

If you need higher call volumes, you can still sign up for a paid API subscription plan from The Weather Company. Prices begin at $200/month. To have a representative contact you or to request a demo, please click to fill out the contact form.

Finally, we are humbled by the loyalty you’ve shown us during this difficult transition period. Thank you for your continued support of the Weather Underground community.

With gratitude,
The WU API Transition Team

I seriously wonder about a employee who insists on saying…

When there really isn’t…

3 Likes

Just a short announcement for those who were using my SmartApp and DTH based on WU (Weather Underground Web Smartapp: the "poor guy" weather station with event based switches automation), you can have a try to the TWC adapted version I just created in another repo on my GitHub at: https://github.com/philippeportesppo/TheWeatherCompany_SmartThings

Also, the announcement on wunderground.com says:

I own two PWS, which upload directly to WU servers. I’ve never had an API key.

Does that make me an owner/contributor that is eligible for a free replacement API service? Because no-one has contacted me. I only even found out about the change through the smartthings forum. Seems like a lot of people (everyone?) were caught by surprise trying to rewrite scripts before year end only to find out that IBM extended the date without telling anyone again.