Waterproof keypad that works*

keypad
garagedooropener
garage
project_garage
project_security

(Apexdestroyer13) #1

I’m working on a keypad that integrates with Konnected Alarm Panel.
Check out my progress so far.

This is a solution for an outdoor keypad. Use this along with Konnected and you can unlock doors, disarm the alarm, turn on a light, or whatever. Basically, you can add this as a wired device in Konnected and have it trigger anything or everything.

You can even set multiple pins to open your garage doors and program your car’s Home Link to trigger it.

Some of my kids don’t have phones and this will eliminate false alarms by changing to Home Mode when triggered.

It will take some ninjaneering but it is a workable option.

Once I’m done, I’ll post a finished video.

(Apexdestroyer13) #2

I need some help with grounding my setup. Can the ground pin on the NodeMCU board be connected to the 24v ground without hurting it?

Attached is a picture of the relay module and a crude sketch of my design.

The 24v power source powers the 24v relay module and a receiver PCB. The RX PCB receives an external signal and sends a momentary 24v trigger to relay 3 which is connected to a pin on the NodeMCU. Relay 3 momentarily opens and activates a home automation response.
Relays 1 & 2 are connected to my garage door openers and to the NodeMCU. The NodeMCU triggers them.

Relay Module Page

I’m new to this so these might be dumb questions.

Should I use a common ground by connecting the ground pin on NodeMCU with the 24v ground supply?

Will the 3v (haven’t tested the current yet) from the NodeMCE be enough to trigger the relays 1 & 2?

Am I missing something else?

[RELEASE] Konnected Security 2.0 - Connect Wired Alarm System Sensors and Siren to SmartThings - big update and new name!
(Dan) #3

Yes, you can safely connect the GND of the 24VDC power supply to the GND of the ESP8266. Just make sure anything connected to the ESP8266 is not above 3.3v. Use a meter to check everything before connecting any wire to prevent frying the ESP8266.

Connecting the GNDs of both together is exactly what you’d need to have the ESP8266 fire the 2 relays. HOWEVER, I do not believe the 24VDC relay board will be properly triggered by the 3.3VDC coming from the ESP8266. You can try it, and if it works, great.

If not, you may want to:

• get a 2-relay 3.3/5VDC board for the ESP8266 to manipulate.
  • use a separate 24VDC relay for the RX PCB.

Here’s a link to a 2 relay board that I have used with Arduino (5v) and ESP8266 (3.3v) to trigger. Note: This board requires a LOW trigger, not a HIGH.

(Erik) #4

I would buy this in a HEARTBEAT.

(Apexdestroyer13) #5

Do you mean on the GPIO pins or do you mean the entire board? I have something connected to the 12v pin and something connected to the 5v pin.

(Apexdestroyer13) #6

@mejifair once I get this prototype tested and working, I think I found a cost effective way to make this a smaller size and downsize the voltage to 12v @ less than 1 amp. But I’m getting a little ahead of myself.

Once I receive my new Konnected board I plan to repurpose my DIY Konnected as a testing platform.

Finding the time to do all of this is the hard part. I have a wife and 3 kids (all of which are involved in multiple sports/groups/clubs) and I have a small business to fill in most of my “free time”.

I’ll keep updating this post for anyone else that is interested in this.

(Dan) #7

What I am saying is before you connect anything that is attached to your 12V powersupply (the 4 relay module in this case) to the ESP8266’s GPIO pins, check the voltage from that device to your ESP8266’s Gnd using a voltmeter.

If that relay module is configured for “Active Low” triggering, I’d hate for you to find out that it is outputting 24v already, hoping for your ESP8266 to sink that voltage/current to GND. It probably is not a problem, but better safe than sorry.