Water Temperature Sensor, Need Help

Hi,

I’m looking at buying SmartThings as it will do the majority of what I want it to do with the exception of one (for now). I would like to be able to control my aquarium heating with ST. However, in order to do this, I need to be able to send the temperature to ST. I’ve been searching for quite a while and I just don’t see a solution yet. I didn’t see a sensor that I could buy off the shelf, nor do I see how I could wire a submersible temperature sensor to a z-wave or zigbee device that would send the readings to ST. I’m probably overlooking something, I’ve searched the community and I can’t seem to find any information on this. Any help would be appreciated!

Will your fish die if the temp gets messed up? Yes? Then don’t use smartthings or any other generic home automation. It’s good for monitoring, but not fail safe for life/death situations.

1 Like

Totally agree. Implementing temperature/other process control loops soley over internet is foolish. Think about what happens when the cloud is unable to reach your hub to execute a timely command and can’t tell you the temperature.

Thanks guys, I didn’t really think about it like that. I just ordered one so that I can control some lights around my house & the aquarium lights (not critical like temperature). Appreciate the advice.

ControlByWeb makes automation devices for industrial control, and they have submersible temperature probes and temperature control relays. Their control stuff does not rely on the cloud, although it can be accessed over the web. It would be straight forward to implement the control portion of the aquarium heat using their stuff, and one could access it for informational purposes from within ST (would require code to be developed to interface). You might even be able to set the temperature in ST, but have the actual control process solely rely on the ControlByWeb stuff. The probes are cheap ($12), but the relay runs about $135. I’ve used these products for years, and they are rock solid industrial grade. If the internet goes down, the control still works – you just can’t access it remotely.

I am setting up an Aquaponics system in my back yard and was thinking of doing the same thing, but I think the Neptune Apex System might be better and cheaper. It is designed for controlling aquariums and gives you a nice interface on your laptop, tablet etc. https://www.neptunesystems.com/. come with temp an ph probels, controlls lights, heaters, pumps,.fish feeder, dosing unit, etc and its all controlled in the cloud with alerts via https://www.neptunesystems.com/apex-fusion/ which is free.