Temperature Sensor + Dimmer? (Terrarium)

Looking to regulate the temperature of my turtle enclosure with a temperature sensor and light dimmer that runs a heating lamp.

Idea that I was thinking was if temp hits 80, reduce light output to 75%, if temp goes to 82, reduce light output to 55%, if temp hits 78 increase temp to 75% etc.

Is there anything out there with this capability or am I looking at a complete build out. :\

I’d also need to control the intervals of when it would run, so every 5 mins it would check and make any adjustment that might be needed.

Ideas or thoughts?

Unfortunately SmartThings is not yet reliable enough for anything that might affect health or safety, including of pets. I have one light which is triggered by a motion sensor. No custom code.

Just in the last week, it has turned on randomly several times, turned off when it wasn’t supposed to turn off, suffered significant lag.

Obviously, it’s your choice, but personally I wouldn’t put any terrarium or aquarium functions on it that might affect the well-being of the animals.

Here are the official Samsung SmartThings product use guidelines:

https://www.smartthings.com/guidelines/

Data accuracy and consistency from SmartThings sensors, including those provided by SmartThings directly, resold by SmartThings, or supported by SmartThings, is not guaranteed. Therefore, you should not rely on that data for any use that impacts health, safety, security, property or financial interests.

For example, because temperature readings may vary significantly from reading to reading on an individual device, between devices, or over time, those readings should not be used to control heating and cooling in environments where food spoilage, health risks, or damage to physical goods could occur.

Alternately, presence data from SmartThings devices or mobile/Smartphones can vary in accuracy, and therefore should not be used to control access to secure locations without secondary authentication.

Agree on safety etc, however this would be to just improve the total enclosure, currently the light runs constantly during the day at a set power and then is turned off at night, the only thing I’m looking to do is create a more constant temp and even then it’s more of a “can this be done” project.

I don’t reply JDRoberts posts but it bears repeating that your turtle should not be subject to ST/internet temperature controls which are iffy.

He will control his own temperature if he’s got a warm zone and a cold zone to work with. The turtle, not JDRoberts.

The best thing you can do is get notified when your environment loses power and goes out of expected temperature range, and if water level falls, or something important like that.