Water Shutoff; cheapest possible?

(Tarsier Blip) #1

So, I am looking into water shutoff valves, and it seems like they’re really silly/rickety (a plastic arm that turns off a valve), or really expensive (Fortrezz).

Then I found this: http://www.smarthome.com/smarthome-select-electronic-water-shutoff-valve-3-4-inch-12v-dc.html

$100, and it basically functions in the same way that the Fortrezz does, minus the “smart” part (obviously, that’s a large “minus”). Then I found a z-wave curtain module from Monoprice for $17 which, I believe, has all the connectivity to provide the logic to make this thing work. Then, a few automotive relays and a brick power supply (or batteries), and that’s everything.

Might be a little less elegant, but for about $125 all-in, it seems like a winner. Is there something I am overlooking? The valve has 3 wires, so no “status” wire, but I’d be happy with telling it to close for 10 seconds and assuming it made it. Since it DOES have 3 wires, I’d assume it disconnects the wire once it reaches full range.

You’re looking at exactly what a few of us have already done. The motorized valve I ended up going with has a built-in open/close sensor (post #22). Total cost was around $150 (valve and mimolite device)

Here’s what the updated DH looks like in ST:

(Tarsier Blip) #3

What is wrong with me lately and completely failing @ successfully searching anything?!

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking to create. Good to hear it’s not only doable, but it has been done already :D.

(Jimmy) #4

You can find the LeakSmart valve for sale on the wink/ST facebook group for around $80 lately. Probably people that found it on clearance at Home Depot.

(Tarsier Blip) #5

[quote=“prjct92eh2, post:4, topic:66751”]
LeakSmart valve
[/quote]If I could find an “all in one” solution for $80 I’d be all about that. I’m looking at $50-ish (shipped) to get one of the Chinese ones, then whatever control system to make it work. I’ll try and hunt one of these down; thanks for the info.

(Joe) #6

I bought one of these not long ago and it has been working great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AKCPEHG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(John Dell Arciprete) #7

This is a good deal at $85 as it also includes a sensor.

I’ve been looking the past few days (not very hard), is there one that can be mounted outside? Our shutoff is behind the house, winters are pretty mild in AZ.

Yeah, the LeakSmart all in one valve is a great choice, and I can’t believe I forgot about that device. If I had to do it all over again, I’d go with the LeakSmart valve. It wasn’t around when I did my “project”.

(Jimmy) #10

Their kit is actually the valve and a water sensor, so if you can find it for ~$100 its a pretty good deal

(Jimmy) #11

I haven’t seen one. You’ll want to leave your existing shut off in place. you’ll also need an outlet near by for power.

(Omar D Ruiz Morales) #12

leaksmart connect with smartthings?

Yup. It’s a zigbee device and they work with ST. I haven’t used it, but others have. The DTH may need tweaked, but that’s easy enough to do if needed.