Virtual Hue light

Hi!
I’m looking for a DTH for a virtual Hue Light, which would be visible as well in the Hue bridge. Is is something that already exist?
If available, It would be useful to control non Hue lights with Hue accessories, like for example Friends of Hue switches.
Any good hint about it?
Thank you!

It is not possible to fool the Hue bridge into thinking a virtual device is real. It forms its own mini network with devices attached to it, so if they don’t send zigbee signals during the join to that network, they will not be usable.

In any case, I’m not quite sure how you are imagining using such a device to control other devices attached to the bridge.

If you are also using Apple HomeKit, there are some things you can do by creating a virtual Hue bridge and getting integration through HomeKit that way, but that’s bringing the SmartThings controlled devices into HomeKit rather than the other way around. And it’s a pretty technical setup.

[RELEASE] Homebridge SmartThings v2.0

Hi JD,
Thanks for your help.
I understand.
I was thinking about a Hue virtual switch so I could trigger an Aeotec nano dimmer with a friends of Hue switch. At my home, I still have some nano dimmers controlling those lights which I couldn’t replace with an Hue bulb, and I was searching a way to control them anyway after installing a friends of Hue switche also for them.
I guess I should just consider to replace those z-wave relays with zigbee ones which are compatible with the Hue bridge as well.
If somebody has some good advice please let me know :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks!

Which country are you in? The device selection does vary.

In any case, there are several battery operated devices which can be used as a wall switch with smartthings. The wall device sends a message to the hub and I have sent a message to the Aeotec. Even the Aeotec Wallmote is a good choice for this.

The wall device would not show up in your Hue app, though. So I don’t know if that’s part of what you were looking for. But you would be able to use it fine in smartthings.

Sorry for the late reply.
I’m in northern Europe, I tried some switches in the past (z-wave.me i.e) and then I opted to go with Hue switches.
So yeah,I will replace my z-wave relay with a zigbee that would be compatible with Hue as well.
Thanks again for the support :slight_smile:

1 Like