Virtual Devices Suddenly Stopped working

I created virtual devices Vedge Creator V2.9 and was working great for awhile. Suddenly the virtual switches actions stopped being recognized in Alexa app. Although they showed that they are being operated in SmartThings.

I use a virtual presence sensor to show if someone is present at home. They worked great then suddenly one just does random things. Turns itself on and off.

Is there something better to use then vedge tool?

There is a know issue with virtual devices not consistently triggering Alexa routines. You can find work arounds in this thread. I’m not sure whats going on with the presence devices, mine are still working.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, my location-based triggers had stopped working for several days for both my and my wife’s phones. It may be related to a recent (iOS) app update. They seemed to have started working again in the last couple days.

So it’s probably not related to the virtual devices themselves, but rather a platform issue. SmartThings location services can be flakey whenever there are either iOS updates or SmartThings app updates.

4 Likes

Is there a better way to do this outside of the iPhone. Like using a fob or something

Thanks I’ll read through it and go for the fix

1 Like

I’m having the same problem with several of my automations failing intermittently. Wife keeps asking when will it be fixed? After much trial and error, I created a “Door contact” with the vEdge tool. This device has so far worked 100% of the time. I use the lock/unlock function to trigger alexa routines. Settings (Icon=contact, Sync state=Yes). I just found this thread and will also try the Alexa switch solution here. I originally tried that but was not aware of the settings at the time.