Viability of using SmartThings in multiple household buildings

There’s no way of knowing exactly what features will be included in the “add a second user” when it is a release, because we don’t know if they’re starting from a whole new architecture or not. But from reading your description I just wanted to mention a couple things about how it used to work:

One) as it used to work, you could invite a second person to join The account. Once you did that, there was no way to ever delete them again. This was an issue that came up more than once for people who had roommates who moved out. Once they are on the account they were on the account forever. The only thing you could do was to remove the entire cloud account and start over. That may already be what you were intending to do, but it’s not quite how your description read so I just wanted to mention it. And again it may be different in the future.

Two) as it used to work, if two Devices were signed in and you changed the password on one of those devices, the other account remained signed in forever until it was actively signed out even though the password had changed. Again this was an issue that would come up if your roommate moved out. If they didn’t sign themselves out of the SmartThings account, they continued to have full access even though the password had changed. So the combination of one) and two) meant there is no way for a master account holder to do an emergency lockout of a previously authorized subaccount user.

Three) “keyless entry” means different things to different people. The Z wave locks that are available are mostly pretty good about being able to operate with or without the Internet. And also with or without a cloud account. So you can add users through the lock’s keypad itself, and also remove them, without needing any SmartThings account access. You just need the master code for that specific lock and to physically have access to the lock.

I know that’s a lot more work for a landlord/hotelier than being able to do it from a screen remotely, but it is an option for some use cases.

At my house as you may recall I have a number of Health workers who come and go. I do give them a lock code without giving them any access to SmartThings. Again I don’t know if that’s of any help in your situation, but it’s just something else that can help some people for some use cases.

4) judging just by past release history, once “add a user” is released, it will take at least two more minor releases before it’s actually fully functional. That could be a period of another month or even more. So I really don’t see any way right now that this feature is likely to be fully available to you in two weeks. I would be delighted to be wrong, but “those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it” and all that.

Just a FWIW. Again if they come out with a whole new architecture, only point 4) May apply.

4 Likes