Using Amazon Echo to turn on a device after a delay?

I use my Amazon Echo to turn on/off my various SmartThings devices. One thing I’d like to be able to do, and I haven’t figured out how yet, is to have something turn on after a specific delay. For example, I’d like to be able to say something like, “Turn on the white noise machine in 30 minutes.” Does anyone know of a way to make this possible?

Yes, but is not out yet. Check this thread…when you see v3 is out, you will be able to do this…it’s coming in few days

Use the askAlexa app and set up a voice macro. I use it as I’m leaving the house to set my goodbye routine after a period of time I tell it.

Example:
Alexa, tell smarthings gone in 2 minutes (gone is my macro name for the goodbye routine)
OK, I’ll run the gone control macro in 2 minutes

1 Like

As others have mentioned, there are several different ways to do it.

Yet another way is to use a daisy chain. :blossom::blossom::blossom:

Instead of having echo turn on the device, have Echo turn on the countdown timer. (A virtual switch with the power allowance feature, so that it will turn itself off in 30 minutes.)

Now have your actual device set up to turn on when the countdown timer turns off.

It’s a little clunky, but it will work.

There’s a how to article in the community – created wiki on setting up a virtual timer. That article describes the process for having a light come on and then go off again in X minutes.

You will use the same method, except instead of having the physical device turn on when the virtual timer turns on, for a countdown timer you have The physical device turn on when the virtual timer turns off. Otherwise everything else is the same. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_create_a_virtual_timer_for_a_light

Remember that with this method you will be instructing echo to turn on the timer, not the device. So, “Alexa, turn on white noise countdown” or whatever you want to call it. I don’t think echo will let you call it a “timer” though, because that’s a reserved word. But you can experiment and see what you like best. :sunglasses:

1 Like