Use WiFi switch to operate garage door

Can I use regular WiFi switch to replace garage door switch? My goad is to remotely turn on/off the garage door

Thank you
Moe

I feel like you have a couple options depending on your needs.

If you literally want to cut off all power to the garage door opener then sure most any generic zwave, zigbee or wifi smart plug will work(just search for SmartThings Wifi Smart Plug if you want it to be wifi).

If you want control over the open, close function then here are some popular options.

-myQ Smart Garage Door Opener (wifi based) also needs a smartthings smart app and a open/close contact sensor is optional but in my opinion necessary.

-GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4 Z-Wave Garage Door Opener. Custom device handler recommended to take full advantage of features but works without it the device handler.

I’ve used both and they both work well. There is a lot of support around both options in the smartthings community forums. So depending on which option your looking for I would do the research and go from there.

@Moe, Search for the phrase “garage door”, there are zillion options to smarten a garage door, but most of them requires some extra investment, money and time too.

You can use a wifi switch, but then you need a extra relay to give signal to the current garage door controller.
Or you can hook up a dry contact smart relay in itching mode, but both requires an extra open close sensor to know that you have closed the garage.
Or you can replace your current motor controller with a smart one, then you can use the current sensors of the garage door.

But for all of it, you need some electronic knowledge and to know how you can connect and external button to your current controller (if it supports it)

Thank you! My thought process on this could be very flawed but I have a switch in the garage already that I used to control close/open garage door. So I was thinking if I replace this switch with a WiFi one I could therioticaly control the garage door remotely using WiFi hope this make sense.

Thank you! My thought process on this could be very flawed but I have a switch in the garage already that I used to control close/open garage door. So I was thinking if I replace this switch with a WiFi one I could therioticaly control the garage door remotely using WiFi hope this make sense.

It really depends on how its wired up (I’m picturing a light switch or a outlet at this point). If you got 110v, meaning at least a neutral and live wire, you should be good. The only way to truly know is to look behind the switch and see what’s going on.

This is the switch

You would need normal power to power a zwave device. The power emitted by the garage door opener isnt enough to power a z wave device.

The GoController would definitely work but you have to have 2 if you have 2 garages.

GoControl Z-Wave Garage Door Opener Remote Controller

Also the My Q works (it’s a little harder to integrate into smartthings but the normal app works well). I believe 1 device can control 2 doors. The device links up to the garage door like a remote opener. All you have to do is plug it into a wall. Also your garage door opener needs a “sync” button (I believe the opener should be good if it was made after 1993)

I think both devices we would serve your purpose but neither would replace those buttons. That is if by “on/off” you mean “open/close”.