Use Nest thermostat as a presence sensor

Hello, I would like to use my nest thermostat as a presence sensor. I can see a lot of posts about how to set home/away but I can’t see anything about reading home/away status from the nest thermostat.

I have NST Manager and CoRE setup and I’ve done a lot of digging around but I can’t find what I’m looking for. I see the current home/away mode on the device view so there has to be a way.

What I’m trying to do is turn on some lights when someone comes home. I’m planning to use a combination of presence, motion and time as a trigger.

Thanks

I am interested in doing this as well so I will be following this thread. I haven’t set up NST Manager yet, but I do have two Nest thermostats (and one remote temp sensor).

Hi,

Sadly, the Nest REST APIs don’t allow to expose the motion sensor within the Nest Tstat/Protect/Cam… You can look it up in the Nest APIs documentation, and it’s not available.

https://developers.nest.com/reference/api-thermostat

And, this feature has been asked by Nest developers since December 2016, and Nest has not made any changes in the last year… So, you need to be very patient as it won’t happen soon (if it happens).

See these threads for more info about the request:

Regards.

Luckily with NST Manager there are a couple of different ways.

1. Use the NST Manager presence DTH. It basically changes from present to not present when the device is home/away.
  2. Core/Webcore
    You can trigger off the nestPresence attribute either being home or away. The value is case sentive.

Yes, you can access the presence sensor’s states and the Nest Structure’s values (Away or Home, see pictures below) with My Next Manager also, but I believe the OP was asking about the motion sensor’s states.

In fact, My Next Manager exposes all the current Nest API attributes (including all the structure’s info).

Regards.

In NST manager, the cameras offer motion state if you are using the stream module of nst manager

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=NST_Manager#Other_Feature_Requests

I tried using the ecobee motion sensor as an occupancy indicator.
Found it useless and gave up.

@sidjohn1 that looks like what I’m looking for. I’ll give that a try.

Thanks