[RELEASE] Resilient My Next Manager & My Next Devices for your Nest® products with native UI (for faster rendering on Android/iOS) & all ST standard capabilities + high refresh rates + No complicated developer account setup!

alarm
thermostat
dth_hvac
cameras
nest

(Yves Racine) #1

I’m happy to announce a new alternative for ST users who have Nest products at home. This new alternative leverages the standard ST UI (for faster rendering on both Android & iOS) & all ST standard capabilities plus new features from the Nest APIs for better synergy between the 2 ecosystems (ex. setETA for geofencing and comfort & energy saving tips with the NestGetTips smartapp and voice commands).

With my code, there is no need to create a Nest Developer account and set up different permissions as Nest has authorized MyNextManager app for many users. This simplifies the Nest Setup process a lot for the end users and avoid subsequent errors/exceptions in operations.

The code has been designed to work with an ecosystem of smartapps acting as “micro services”. The design is NOT a big monolytic application which limits its evolutivity and maintenance.

A contribution fee is required due to the amount of work for the design, development, and testing of the devices (equivalent of a few cups of coffee).

To download the SmartThings code, go to www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Some complimentary smartapps are also available at my github for the most common user cases:

Here are some common use cases covered by the complimentary smartapps:

1) Setting your thermostat to Away or Home based on ST hello modes

See the NestChangeMode smartapp.

2) Controlling your smart vents based on your indoor temp/motion sensors in conjunction with your thermostat’s programs & setpoints

Or See the more advanced (paid ) ScheduleTstatZones and ScheduleRoomTempControl smartapp

3) Turning off or setting your thermostat(s) to Away/eco when Window or Door contacts are open and restoring your thermostat mode when they are closed

See the WindowOrDoorOpen! smartapp.

4) Trigger to turn on/off or flash some switch(es) and/or execute hello phrases (routines) based on the thermostatOperatingState

See the TstatStateTriggerHA smartapp.

5) Sending your Tstat’s state changes to groveStreams for data analytics

See the groveStreams smartapp

New releases:

New version of MyNextManager (v1.4) to correct blank Nest Login Page issue

New Next device versions for automatic removal of forcefully removed Nest devices from ST

MyNextManager app (v1.3) with easier installation steps- no developer account required

New MyNextTstat and MyNextAlarm device versions for display in the new Samsung app

New version of MyNext devices (v1.1) with improved “replay” logic for greater resilience in case of outages

MyNextTstat (v1.0g) with setETA & cancelETA commands for Geofencing logic

My Next Devices (v1.0e) with new security attribute - NEST API changes

The code has been optimized to allow you to poll your Nest devices with high refresh rates (every minute if needed) for your HA scenarios in order to avoid missing any important event!

MyNextTstat

MyNextAlarm (Protect)

MyNextCam (Nest Cam)

List of events (with a refresh rate of 1 minute):

My Next devices (MyNextTstat, MyNextAlarm, and MyNextCam) allow you to expose your Nest Learning Thermostat™ , Nest Protect™, and Nest Cam™ to ST with the following features:

• High performance throughput which enables the Next devices to be polled with different intervals down to the minute (also depending on your use cases and the number of devices).

I’ve tested the code at several user locations with up to 7 devices in order to achieve the best performances using advanced caching mechanism and distributed computing techniques (ex. child devices are not dependent on the parent, they are totally autonomous, so there is less bottleneck).

• Their unique design is based on a minimum number of state & atomicState variables for more resilience. See the effect of state variables here:
  • Just like for MyEcobee device, the code can “replay” failed commands up to 10 times over a period of an hour in case of SmartThings/Nest (temporary) outages, or some Nest Throttling (which can happen as the Nest APIs have 1 call per minute and 10 PUTs per hour limitations, especially if you have many Nest devices).

To download the SmartThings code, go to www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

I’ve developed more than 8k lines of code for integrating the Nest devices into ST.

• The code exposes all the relevant Nest API capabilities (including your home structure in order to set your devices to home or away ):

• MyNextTstat: based on the work I’ve done with MyEcobee device, I’ve created this new device for the Nest thermostat. You’ll find the same level of resilience with some comfort & energy saving tips for the Nest…
    • MyNextAlarm: exposes your Nest Protect’s attributes for Home Automation and integration with SHM
    • MyNextCam: The code was based upon some existing open-source code with the standard ST UI and some add-ons (ex. zones, daily and weekly voice reports with Ask Alexa).

All screenshots here:

_Service Manager (with Ask Alexa Integration for verbal notifications of Daily/Weekly Summary Reports)

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_NextServiceMgr#UI_and_integration_setup_workflow

_Next Devices

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Next_Tstat#Look_.26_Feel
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Next_Alarm#Look_.26_Feel
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=MyNextCam

• My Next devices use the latest async http requests for polling to avoid timeouts as much as possible. They were also designed with some code optimization that allow caching of structures data for better performances.

• All My Next Devices’ capabilities & attributes are exposed for easier integration with Rule Engines (SmartRules, Core or others)

Refer to:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Next_Tstat#Information
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Next_Alarm#Information
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=MyNextCam#Information

- The code unlocks all Nest’s APIs features.

- The code has been designed to work with my ecosystem of Zoned Heating/Cooling smartapps.

- My NextTstat is also able to give you “energy savings and comfort tips” based on actual indoor/outdoor conditions at your home.

Refer to
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=NestGetTips

You can also use the AskAlexa Integration as indicated here for verbal “play/repeat tips” commands:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#MyEcobee_.26_MyNext_Devices.27_comfort_.26_energy_saving_tips

The following indoor/outdoor metrics will be processed by My NextTstat’s heuristic rule engine to provide “comfort and energy saving tips”:

• current Indoor Humidity
  • current Indoor Temperature
  • current OutdoorTemperature
  • Ideal target Indoor Humidity calculated based on outdoor temp
  • average of Indoor Temperature over a given period of time (ex.weekly)
  • average outdoor temperature in the period
  • standard deviation of Indoor Temperature in the period
  • standard deviation of Outdoor Temperature in the period
  • count of Hold commands sent to thermostat

- If you have the Ask Alexa smartapp (developed by MichaelS), installed under SmartThings, I’ve also integrated some voice reports in the Service Manager (last page) that give you a summary of all events related to MyNext devices for the past day/week (optional)

For example, for MyNextTstat device, you’ll get the following summary voice report:

At your home, your Home structure is currently in away mode, and your Nest thermostat is in cool mode.In the past day,in the room Hallway where the thermostat MyTstat Hallway (My Nest) is located, there were 2 hold(s) observed, and 1 schedule change(s),your Nest thermostat’s setpoint was 22.0 degrees in average.The Nest’s minimum setpoint was 18.3 degrees on 2018-01-11 07:40,and the Nest’s maximum setpoint was 24.5 degrees on 2018-01-11 07:42

For MyNextAlarm, here is another summary voice report:

At your home, your Home structure is currently in away mode.In the past 7 days,in the room Downstairs where the Nest Protect MyAlarm Downstairs (6EC0) is located,there were 1 event(s) triggered by the Nest Protect, which include the following,1 battery event(s).The current battery state is ok

For MyNextCam, here is a summary voice report:

At your home, your Home structure is currently in away mode.In the past 7 days,in the room Living room where the Nest Cam Living is located,there were 10 total event(s), which include the following, 5 person events,5 motion events, and 1 sound event(s).The earliest event was recorded on 2018-01-01 05:01 and the latest on 2018-01-11 07:42. During the last event, motion was detected, and a person was detected, and sound as well.

- As a reminder, I have also built many smartapps to control any room thermostats (ex. eTRVs, minisplits, window units) and ST connected smart vents (Flair, Keen Home, EcoNet, etc.) with many smart features such as:

_ creation of virtual zone devices with delta temp (+/-) adjustment per zoned rooms activated by schedule
_ avg/median/min/max temp calculations for your thermostat's setpoints adjustment based on all your ST connected sensors (similar to the ecobee's follow me feature)
_ alternative cooling also activated by schedule
_ control of your vents based on any ST temp/motion/contact/presence sensors
_ built-in safeguards amongst others, the HVAC static pressure check based on some pressure differential 
_ ability to set your thermostat to Away or Present based on all your ST motion sensors (similar to ecobee's smart away feature)

Here are the names of the relevant zoned heating/cooling smartapps: (smart vents are optional)

For the Nest thermostat and slave z-wave or zigbee thermostats,

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones

_This last smartapp has less features but can control the vents based on rooms’ temp thresholds.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleRoomTempControl

Note:

For more details, refer to

** Special thanks to Darrell C. and Cliff S. for their support during the beta testing.

Nest is finally getting remote sensors! (And their doorbell is finally shipping)
Adding Nest to SmartThings
[RELEASE] Introducing ScheduleTstatZones: the ultimate flexible smartapp for your thermostat(s) and multi zoned heating/cooling solution for your home
[RELEASE] Introducing ScheduleTstatZones: the ultimate flexible smartapp for your thermostat(s) and multi zoned heating/cooling solution for your home
New to automation and ST: controlling Ecobee?
Latest Tom's guide review: Ecobee4 vs. Nest Gen 3: which smart thermostat wins?
Nest Integration Breaks Google Nest App and Google said “Will not help!”
List of official representatives from Third Party Companies?
Smart things Nest intergration?
Nest devices stopped updating at midnight last night (Sept 30 2018)
Adding Nest to SmartThings
Nest Unreliable API
Demo of EcobeeSwitch+, Ask Alexa, My ecobee, My Flair, My Automatic integrations
Nest manager help
Nest In Heat Mode
Nest Developer account not working with NST
Nest Thermostat OAuth
[RELEASE] New version of my zoned Heating/Cooling Solutions
Nest manager issues
Would you like to do targeted heating/cooling in your home using your own Virtual Zone devices?
[DEPRECATED] Ask Alexa 2.3.7
[RELEASE] NST Manager v5.0
Keen Smart Home Vents
NST manager not displaying properly
Turning off a Nest controlled heat/air conditioning system after a open door/window sensor
Nest Protect Device Type
How do I add Nest Thermostat into ST?
Nest Cam: Formerly Dropcam
Thermostats with good SmartThings integration
Integration of z-Wave /danfoss thermostatw
Open door shuts off tstat
Smart Thermostatic Radiator Valves (eTRV's by MiHome) following Nest Thermostat
Turning off a Nest controlled heat/air conditioning system after a open door/window sensor
(Micheal ) #2

It has Ask Alexa integration? Be sure to update the wiki or I can. Great work!

(Micheal ) #3

I will also list this in my next Friday update!

(Yves Racine) #4

Yes, it does with new weekly and daily voice reports for all NEST products. I’m leveraging your Ask Alexa smartapp to the max!!

I will also send you some updates for the Get Tips, Play/Repeat Tip commands soon as My NextTstat supports those verbal commands as well.

Regards.

(Anthony S.) #6

Congrats @yvesracine on your release it’s nice to finally have someone else’s help in filling in the Nest space.

[RELEASE] NST Manager v5.0
(Anthony S.) #7

So are you certified with Works With Nest now?

(Coreylista) #9

I thought the nest was inferior to the Ecobee?

(Anthony S.) #11

That’s great news.
I spent months trying to jump through there hoop and they wouldn’t certify me because I was using tricks to get the camera stream translated from the streaming URL and had graphing history and had functions that would override the nests Home/Away. The final nail was i had no way to secure the client id and secret.

(Cmg75) #12

Will this allow me to integrate my Nest Cam in to ST without making it public?

(Yves Racine) #14

Sorry, sadly, it’s not possible as with the other Nest Integration,

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=MyNextCam#Issue_.2311:_I_cannot_get_live_stream_from_My_Nest_Cam

(Cmg75) #15

That’s what I thought but was hoping. I guess it’s probably never going to happen at this point.

(Anthony S.) #16

Nest did a pretty good job encrypting the Secure stream :expressionless:

(Michael Deffendall) #17

Thank you for this. I have been wanting to put my Nest on my ST but the whole Nest Developers account issue was a challenge for me. But now I have a new snag. I created the Nest Developers account as directed, I have a Product ID and a Product Secret key. But when I go to put them into the OAuth, it asks me to Enable OA in SmartApp ( a button to click ). When I click that button, the Client ID and Client Secret fields are listed as Auto-Generated and it won’t let me paste anything in. What now?

(Yves Racine) #18

Hi,

You need to copy and paste the product Id and product private key under Settings/AppSettings (not under oAuth)… Sorry, I will update the wiki to be clearer.

(Anthony S.) #19

So you are a certified Works with Nest product and the end user still needs to create a developer account?

That’s different doesn’t sound any more certified than NST Manager

(Michael Deffendall) #21

Thank you! I knew it was something silly I was doing and I was terrified I was going to screw it up :slight_smile:
And kudos for the super fast reply!! Can’t wait to start playing with this.

If I can make a suggestion…add a screenshot of what the IDE in that area.

Michael

(Yves Racine) #22

Will do later…

(Coreylista) #29

I went to your site and then to the GitHub link but I can’t find anything about the new nest software.

(Jody) #36

I usually stay out of the weeds on stuff like this, but I feel the need to clarify a few things since I am being named on this thread.

1. Any developer that signs up for an account with Nest is allowed to use the logos and other branding on their own website and Yves does have permission from the Nest team to use the WWN logo and other branding materials on his own website.
  2. As far as I can tell, this device type handler has not been certified by Nest in any way.
  3. These discussions about paid products, their support, and how to install should be moved to the vendors website.

Please keep these discussions civil and keep the topics directed towards the benefit of the community. I would suggest that if the community feels that a particular topic is spammy or more marketing than an actual community discourse that they flag it as such and leave it at that. It does no one any good to back and forth in an argument that never concludes.

(Jody) #38