Use Google Assistant to verbally open garage?

I want to be able to say “ok google open garage.” Currently using Chamberlain door opener and they don’t support this feature. Wondering if there’s an app for SmartThings or perhaps someone has figured out a way to do this. Help!

I believe that Alexa and Google have disabled that feature for security purposes.

One way to work around this is to use a custom garage door device handler and you can “on” and “off” to open and close the garage door respectively.

If you’re using a Z-Wave garage door controller, then a DTH like one can support the on/off feature:

If you’re using a Chamberlain that support MyQ then you can use this DTH to control it use the on / off technique.

2 Likes

I’m using chamberlain garage doors with MyQ Lite app on smartthings. I am able to manipulate the garage doors via Google Home.

In Google home on your android or iphone you can set up what they call routines. Basically you can type in what you want to say to Google and then tell it the actual command you want. That way you can say open or close. However, if I ask Google to check the garage doors it will still report them as on or off.
I find I have to put the command in multiple way because it looks for the exact phrase.

Google’s recent update to their Android Home app finally sees things other than just switches. I can now ask Google Assistant “what’s the temperature in the garage?” and “is the garage door closed?” It still will not open or close the door, but these other new features are a huge improvement.

It was the new Google Home update that prompted me to find a solution to the missing “hey Google, open the garage door” feature. So I wrote a SmartThings device handler and SmartApp to convert a Z-Wave relay into a Google Assistant operated garage door opener button.

I started a thread at Hey Google, open the garage door
and the code is available at https://github.com/mcavoya/garage-door-button

This is pretty easy to do if you’re using the MyQ Lite SmartApp already. Just set up the momentary switches for open and close in the app and you can then set up a routine in Google Home. Mine says something like when I say “open the garage door” it should “turn on the garage door opener” and the same for when it closes. This has probably been obvious by now, but posting just in case anyone else comes along.

I’m new to home automation and I am picking up the Chamberlain B970 and would like to use Google assistant voice to open/close the garage door. Can anyone provide me with where to start or point me in the direction of where to find the exact info to get this up and working. Thanks!

Set up the MyQ Lite SmartApp and be sure to install the “momentary switches” for the opener and closer. Go into your Google Home app settings and set up a routine, essentially: When you say “open the garage door” it should “turn on the Garage Door Opener” or whatever you have named the momentaries. Do the same for closing. Google sees the momentaries as switches so it has to send a command to “turn on/off” instead of “open close”

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. Is this without the need of Smartthings Hub? I’m looking to pick one of them up for other stuff that I would like to do for home automation. Thank you

Unfortunately you have to pay a subscription fee to integrate MyQ and Google Assistant, so you’d need a ST hub to do what I have listed above if you wanted to do it without the monthly fee. I almost went with the Wink hub because Chamberlain no longer supports ST (I already had purchased the MyQ), but once I found the SmartApp from @brbeaird I went ahead with ST and it has worked well for the last year. If you need more help getting this set up after getting the hub and MyQ, let me know.

https://www.myq.com/google-assistant

1 Like

Hi Jeff… I’ve gone ahead and purchased the ST hub and some sensors and will be picking to the garage door openers next week when I return from vacation. Ive been doing my research as well and came across rboyapp and smartapp from @brbeaird so I’ll be using those to start and get a feeling how all this stuff works as I’m a total newb with Smartthings. I have a bunch of tplink light switches in my home that I got for free and they work great with the Kasa app and Google assistant but looks like they don’t work with ST so I’ll have to see how that plays out.

I appreciate the offer for help and will let you know if I have issues. In the meantime, I’ll be reading up. Thanks again :+1:

So I got my Chamberlain B980 installed and received the Smartthings Hub v3 and 2 multi-purpose sensors. I installed and set up everything and I’m now able to Open/Close the 2 garage doors via Smartthings app as well as Google Assistant. I’m using @brbeaird app and handler. I didn’t encounter any issues (although the app status when open stays at “opening”. Not sure if that is an issue or normal).

Anyway, I’m trying to figure out how to configure the garage door to open when I arrive home. Do i need to carry some kind of smartthings sensor with me or can I use my phone for geolocation/fencing? Anyone know how I would go about setting this up?

Thanks to @brbeaird for this code and the help from the community as I figure out the smartthings world.

This is not normal but has recently started happening - the SmartApp device is somehow not getting accurate updates from the sensor. I’m looking into it. If you cycle the door again, it seems to correct itself.

I cycled the door as you suggested and the status is showing correctly when open. I appreciate the quick response!

After digging around I figured out to create a routine to open when arriving based on phone presence. It’s configured now but will have to wait to see if it works when I get home

I have mine open as I come home using my phone as the presence sensor and a webcore piston. Works great.

To add onto this, can I use a SmartThings Button to have a physical button in the car that will ope and close the garage? Or a wifi button that can be integrated? My Expedition has built in wifi.

Thanks for this, you can’t believe how difficult it is to find an answer for this on Google, AND you just saved me from trying to explain to 80+ year old folk that you need to say ‘ok Google Switch on the front gate’ for the gate to open LmAo