Updates to the SmartThings Platform

You make very good points, and I agree with all of them. :sunglasses: I certainly wasnā€™t trying to diminish the amount of work it would take to switch over.

But in my case, Home Automation was never just a novelty, nor was it a techie hobby: itā€™s something I need for my everyday safety and independence. So there are some use cases which I am willing to solve even if it takes more time and money than a more able-bodied person would want to spend. :wink:

So really I just wanted to highlight the fact that many of the use cases you listed could be solved in an alternative manner. Again, thatā€™s not to diminish the amount of time and effort it would take to do so. But there is a difference between ā€œcanā€™tā€œ and ā€œmight not be worth the effort,ā€œ and for some of us the reward/effort calculation has some extra factors.

(By the way, that works both ways. Since I have to pay someone else to do any of the physical manipulation, even popping the batteries on a sensor, some glitches are much more significant to me than they would be to a more able-bodied person. So that also affects my decision making. )

3 Likes

If you have pihole or similar firewall, make sure you have whitelisted the two samsung servers. Itā€™s documented elsewhere.

1 Like

Based upon that comment, I changed my vote from ā€œProtect the privacy of my locationā€ (I really have devices I do not want Alexa have access to) to ā€œCustomize which voice assistants control which devicesā€.

(But I really wish that option was simply: ā€œCustomize which devices a voice assistant can controlā€)

I am specifically not asking about ā€œeliminating duplicatesā€. Thatā€™s a side effect of not being able to customize which devices I can expose.

4 Likes

You have great perspective @JDRoberts, have a great weekend.

1 Like

Yea ā€¦ safety is a big concern ā€¦ my sister at her house told alexa to " turn off all bedroom lights" at her house and opps turned off momā€™s oxygen in my parents bedroom at their house (seperate
location) ā€¦ that is how I found out there was an issue a few weeks ago.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly!

In my case, itā€™s a medical monitoring system. I have it plugged into a smart plug so I can reboot it if needed. (Very rare, but it can happen, and I canā€™t do the plug myself.)

This is part of my home automation system, but I do not want it on voice control. If needed, I can toggle it through the app.

Tagging @blake.arnold in case specific examples are helpful. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This actually isnā€™t true at all. Our power users and community devs are considered in all the decisions weā€™re making and weā€™re trying actively NOT to lose community power users. The problem is that often we have to choose between an architecture that works for everyone and one that supports individual edge cases. With as flexible of a platform as weā€™ve created so far, there can be A LOT of edge cases. As Iā€™ve said before, please work with us, be patient, and keep contributing to the conversation.

10 Likes

Hereā€™s another use case that will be ramping up dramatically as people migrate off Classic: virtual switches to control STHM Security. Since STHM doesnā€™t allow third party smartapp control like SHM did, a lot of people are going to be using virtual switches to control STHM. I donā€™t want those virtual switches in Alexa or Google Home.

19 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion - weā€™ve heard a lot of feedback about space at the top. Location status icon and users selectable icons (like the favorites from Classic) make sense. Iā€™ll make sure the comments get to our UX team for the next revision.

8 Likes

You mean like these?..

add06c703ab2e4857f28a5aa992ac36549fed81b_2_281x500 804fa239d022909c9cd93d107c430953b11a75ce_2_281x500

3 Likes

My virtual switch/sensors have stopped triggering Alexa routines since I enabled the new Alexa Voice Assistant functions. So, no, as of right now you canā€™t do what you describe.

By far the most useful feature TO ME would be a search bar that I can start typing and it filters the devices. Similar to the menu/devices selection but more readily apparent. With 150+ devices sometimes I just want to find the dining room switch instead of scrolling for ages.

3 Likes

That already exists in the device menu, are you saying you would want it on the dashboard?

1 Like

This! Thatā€™s precisely my use case since recently performing the migration.

But also, I would like Alexa to be able to access and control some of my other virtual switches and use them in Alexa routines, which is now broken for me since ā€œupgradingā€ to the new skill. My current situation with the SmartThings - Alexa integration is that Alexa has access and control over things I donā€™t want it to have access to, and simultaneously canā€™t control the other ones in the way I want. Truly the worst of both worlds!

2 Likes

Yeah, Unfortunately there are a number of people with that issue, although itā€™s not everybody and it seems to be something of a mystery. They are even multiple people where itā€™s been turning on and off over the last week or so so it works for a while and then it stops working. Incredibly frustrating! :rage:

Virtual switches (alexa) keep braking

Correct. Iā€™d want it front and center, even above the SHTM, similar to the TV universal guide or STHM panel.

Maybe here if placed in this position, or elsewhere like at the top of the panel? The top half definitely needs to be optimized:

3 Likes

Please tell us how we can diagnose/troubleshoot the issue. Iā€™m tech savvy enough to get into low level details and would be happy to provide diagnostics and logging info to help track it down.

Again, Iā€™m just another customer who happens to be affected. To talk to a staff member who is tracking the issue, see the following thread. (The topic title is a clickable link)

Unfortunately, Lars posted that almost 4 months ago. Apparently they donā€™t really have a fix yet.

Iā€™d suggest giving us options for how the dashboard looks. The current list of all devices organized by room probably works great if you only have a few devices, but as youā€™ve heard itā€™s painful when home automation becomes an obsession.

If @Kevin_Reene wants the Devices tab to be his landing page with the search bar up top, then let him set that as his default view.

Iā€™d probably prefer having Rooms be my landing page. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been using most in Classic as my devices have ballooned out of control. It just makes sense to me to drill down with a couple taps. I donā€™t like the current scrolling, and I donā€™t think the search bar would be something Iā€™d use enough to want it taking up real estate front and center.

As @JDRoberts says, choice is good.

4 Likes