Updates to Google integration

True, but last month they gave a specific timeline which said it would be gone “in the next few months.“ The specific date is new.

1 Like

Scene + Automation = Routine. For purposes of Google integration you don’t need a routine (which in classic app had automation built in). You just need scenes that can be triggered by the Assistant.

Only to a limited extent.

It has been several months since I looked at a Routine and I can’t recall if they only had the location pre-conditions/restrictions which Automations now have. If not, then there are Routines that can’t be implemented quite the same.

It is certainly the case that Automations can include actions that Scenes can’t. Until it is possible to write any Automation just using Scenes as actions, there is no real equivalent to executing Routines as you can’t activate Scenes instead. Messing around with virtual switches and things should not be required.

I can’t trigger scenes in my google assistant, it has no idea what I am talking about

Dang, well guess its time to switch platforms…I just don’t understand how ST thinks going from a mature platform to removing feature after feature is somehow an upgrade. Seriously guys, finish the new app and functionality first, then release it, enough of these half-arsed updates that break our smart homes.

4 Likes

I am not following, but there is a better thread for this topic :slight_smile:

Theoretically, it should know :slight_smile: as according to first post:

Routines had location mode filter/condition. Adding that to the automation creator in the new app was bringing the new app up to parity with Classic routines.

I have the simplest of desires. All i want to do is connect my google home to smartthings via my samsung account. I’ve been working on it for 3 days. Everytime i attempt to add a new devices/works with google/ select smartthings/ login to my samsung account, it looks like it is going to work. But at the last moment it puts me back into the add new device / works with google menu, and i check the list of services and smartthings not samsung is there. Repeat 1000 times. Tried a different google account, different samsung account, different phone, tablet everything. Oddly google assistent does list samsung afterwards, and smartthings list google as linked, but nothing ever in the google home app.

Odd that the only function i wanted is to say ok google lock my doors, and this cannot be achieved.

QA is really questionable. I’ve seen my problem in a couple forums

Locks are not supported in either the old Groovy Google voice integration or the new integration unfortunately. If you PM me your account email I’ll check if I can find the reason for you not being able to link (if you have other supported devices than a lock that you want to use that is). If you do not have any supported devices, Google home app will not show your SmartThings action as linked.

2 Likes

I would like to look into this issue, can you PM me your Samsung/SmartThings email and examples of time/date when it broke if you can recall, thanks!

2 Likes

This is not true at all. Routines in the classic app are much more customizable than scenes in the new app. I can’t control the smart home monitor from scenes in the new app, that’s just one of a few examples. Yes, there are workarounds, but the point is I shouldn’t need to constantly tweak things because their “upgrades” remove functionality.

It’s scenes plus automations =classic routines.

Not just scenes.

You can change the security.mode with an automation in the new V3 app.

And you can use any of the following as the trigger for the automation,

If you want to combine it with scenes, have the scene turn on a virtual switch and have the virtual switch trigger the automation that changes the security.mode.

I’m not saying it’s pretty, but it is doable. And most people won’t need a scene at all for this particular purpose.

1 Like

I realize there’s a specific date. So, are they telling us when we can expect to lose features? Is that what’s happening?
My point is, they’ve had years to refine this new app and bring it up to par with the classic. If the new app doesn’t support the routines (among other features) that many people have spent a great deal of time creating and implementing, it’s a big step in the wrong direction.

2 Likes

As I said, I realize there are workarounds. But, like I also said, I don’t feel I should have to constantly tweak things because they remove features. It’s pretty simple, the new app should be as good or better than the old. That is not yet the case apparently.

2 Likes

If you’ve been using SmartThings for a while, you should be used by now that one step forward means two backwards. To some degree, scenes can do what routines were never able to do, but like you said, you give some to gain some.

To get back to the topic, the new Google Integration didn’t gain anything but duplicates if you have Hue bulbs integrated, for example.

Can I just quickly check - the google integration is still cloud-dependent, right? My google/nest hubs are not talking directly to the SmartThings hub?

Correct, Nest ->Google cloud -> SmartThings cloud -> Hub (if local device)

1 Like

Not sure if this is sidetracking the thread too far, but something that is frustrating me is even though all my devices are compatible with both smartthings and google home, I still can’t see everything I need to see in one app. For instance, I like to check out the temperature in all the spaces of my house. The sensibo AC controllers won’t divulge the current room temperature to ST but they will to Google Home. The ST multpurpose sensors and buttons show their room temperature to ST app, but that is not passed on to Google Home. Why not? Or is it that Google Home just doesn’t want to show those details? All makes for unnecessary frustration for the end user.

1 Like

Try to query the Google Home app for temperature by voice command. There are many cases where sensors give information only for voice interaction.

Ugh! That would take forever - we have at least 10 different spaces we are interested in. And I am actually not all that good with voice control other than a couple of things I do regularly like stream LBC radio. I can never remember the right words or the names of the devices I want to check or operate. I know them when I see them on the display, but not off the top of my head to say them