UPDATED 10/7/2015 -- "Double Duty" - Use redundant switch presses to control other lights. You paid a lot for those switches, make them work Double Duty!

Hi, I love this app. Is there anyway to use it on Levity switches that you only press one side of the switch to turn it on. Redundant presses actually keeps toggle the switch

thanks

Hi, newbie here…
I tried this on a 2gig WD500Z switch and it doesn’t seem to work. I added a debug log as the first line in switchHandler() and it’s called when I turn the switch on or off (so when there is an actual state change), but it doesn’t seem to be called on the second press of the switch when an actual state change doesn’t occur. Is this something that I can change the behavior of by using a custom device handler, or is this happening within the device hardware itself and I have no control over. Do I need to get a different switch type?

Thanks in advance!!!

I love Double Duty! since I don’t have to actually press a switch 2 times like in Double Tap. What is the odds Double Duty could be expanded to have the option to run a “Routine”? I would like for my thermostats to change temperatures and such when I press a switch redundantly.

I have two instances of the double duty app installed and they have been a great help,

Since the hub firmware update yesterday, the apps started firing every 15 min, turning on the lights. Has anyone else seen thes behavior?

I was never able to use any form of that app with my GE switches as I had the same experience…it was maddening

Is not this app, it’s your zwave mesh. I don’t have any apps installed and I have the same exact problems since last update…Check this thread

1 Like

I see in my activity feed that the lights are turned on precisely every 15 min for at least the past 12 hrs by the double duty app. The switches work fine otherwise. And I don’t think it’s a z-wave issue because I get notifications that the app is turning them on… Double Duty has been working very well before do I wonder if it is something in the update that broke the code.

I installed this smart app today and configured it and it is working, however, I don’t see it at all in the SmartApps section of the app on my phone, am I missing something?

@pizzinini I’m also seeing this every 15 min. I had to restrict the app to my maitenance mode to stop it. It was working great for a long time too.

You may need to go into the IDE and turn off search for child app see:

Looks interesting. If I ever start purchasing switches, I’ll definitely check this out. That said, I would not want a scenario where I have to explain to guests (or to my wife! lol) that you need to double or triple tap, but not too fast, and not too slow, on THIS switch to operate THAT OTHER light. It would be the sort of thing I’d keep to myself. Smart design is intuitive, and if I need to spend five minutes explaining to a guest the proper way to operate the lights then it’s not intuitive.

I use a guest mode for this scenario…where nothing will work and it’s all manual like any other house.

Hey, you are out of luck. They broke the device handler and you won’t be able to use the app. The polling is firing device/physical events, so double duty and any other app (Smart Lighting in my case) sees that as an on or off event, so it fires accordingly to the rule. One work around for me was to change the zwave device handler to the dimmer switch in ide. But that may not work for double duty. Support submitted a bug report, but I won’t hold my breath that it will get fixed any time soon.

1 Like

You might also consider a new alternative that just recently came on the market. Previous switches did double tap by having the controller try to precisely time the interval between the taps. What you put the cloud into that mix, it gets really hard to hit the target precisely.

The newer alternatives are Z wave switches which are using the Z wave “central scene” command set. Instead of trying to time the interval between two taps, they are sending a different code number from the switch to the hub based on whether the switch was single tap or double tap. Much better precision, which is why many of these switches can also do a triple tap. :sunglasses:

In the UK, you will find this option in the battery powered Popp and Z wave.me devices.

In the US, they are in the mains-powered HMS100 line, and I expect to see them in other brands in the next year or so.

Some community members have recently created device handlers for both of these.

1 Like

So this app is essentially DOA now?

Is this app no longer operational ? If so is there an alternative ?

Based one the previous statement and me watching live logging I don’t see how there could be a replacement. Watching live logging the smartthings platform now reports a device event every time it polls the switches. So when the system polls it reports that the switch was turned off, the way the app is written it sees that as a redundant press and acts on the event. So every poll of the switch the light you have configured would toggle on or off…

However, the newer devices that use the Z wave Central scene command will still work for double and triple tap because the device is sending a specific code number to represent those events.

Also the new HomeSeer series has instant status update, so you shouldn’t need to do any polling of it. :sunglasses:

I know that doesn’t help if you want to use double tap with existing switches. But if you’re looking for new devices there will be some new options with double tap functionality.

True but alot of us are using the ge/jasco switches and they don’t have that functionality so we are SOL. This was a change on smarthings end with the last update. Looking at my logs I could see where the polling started reporting a physical event vs just status.

2 Likes

Just to clarify… I was looking for the “double duty” (press off when switch is off or on when switch is already on) functionality, not the “double tap” (2 taps within 1 sec).

1 Like