Update on SmartThings Classic Shutdown

Use the Classic App version from 2018 and keep on enjoy this wonderful smart App. Once you done some automation in classic App , it will also shown in the official App.

3 Likes

I’m using version 2.12 from 2018. newer versions will show the screen that direct you to the official app.
Both Apps are installed and working…For now

3 Likes

Has this ever happened?

2 Likes

SmartThings Home Monitor - 213 countries/regions

Smart Lock Guest Access - Canada, Great Britain, US

Smart Lighting - Canada, Chile, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Singapore, Spain, US

3 Likes

@Brad_ST
I live in Israel. What should I do I need to do if I want to use Smart Lighting ? What about Smart Lock Guest Access ?
Do I need to wait , and you’ll allow it to everyone in the future ? Maybe to install and old version of Classic app and activate it there than use it in Official App.
Please advise…

I am unaware of plans to release either SmartApp in additional countries. Smart Lighting is a legacy integration that will eventually be deprecated. Most features of Smart Lighting can be performed via custom automation in the app. As for Smart Lock Guest Access, my only recommendation is to try a 3rd party SmartApp created for access control.

2 Likes

@JDRoberts just to keep you updated.

Thanks @Brad_ST! If you don’t mind, could you please check as well, is there any geographical limitation for the Sonos Websocket integration? That comes up time to time and nobody has ever confirmed it, that it has been revoked.

Thanks again!

1 Like

That’s not good news. Smart Lighting has been very reliable and also benefits from running locally.

2 Likes

I was going to ask if Automations (assuming that’s what Brad meant by “custom automations” ran locally. I guess I have my answer :frowning:

In my experience custom automations are even more reliable and there is also work well underway to allow them to run locally.

1 Like

I don’t see any other option to mirror a device off another by custom automation. I’ve only seen this in Smartlighting. Button presses and recognizing any button beyond button 1 also doesn’t work outside of Smartlighting or Webcore. If it’s deprecated without a solution to these items that’s a pretty big problem for a lot of people.

1 Like

A little clunky, but mirroring works. And I can confirm the local execution is pretty awesome.

Thanks, I have a dimmer though, can it set the level of one based on the level of the other?

Yeah, that’s the plan as far as anyone can tell, kill off groovy smartapps without adequate replacements, because apparently groovy isn’t scalable and uses too much cloud computing resources.

Now, why you can’t just make the existing smartapps run locally on the hub, I don’t know. The thing never goes very high on cpu usage anyway. The fact that zwave and zigbee devices rely on the cloud also never made sense from the very beginning, the architecture of SmartThings in a way seems like it was designed by committee.

They’re rebuilding the entire infrastructure from the ground up when the obvious solution was already invented by another company a few years ago.

The other nonsensical part about all this is the push towards local execution of automations, etc. while simultaneously discontinuing hardware offerings and moving to a a cloud api-based hub optional business model. These two ideas seem to be mutually exclusive.

So my impression is they’re trying to do everything and support too many use cases simultaneously and therefore they accomplish nothing.

The lack of focus is because they have no CEO and are owned by a foreign company that has a reputation both in Korea and abroad of being completely out of touch with its customers.

6 Likes

Totally disagree. This is working MUCH better than the Official App automation. The official App. automation is unreliable and sometimes don’t execute. While Smart Lightning always works. Please don’t deprecate it… Let the users decide what’s good for them or not.
I have it since I had it in the classic app. But new users in Israel don’t…

3 Likes

Wait until you would hit the behaviour limit of the Automations. Those are a hell of a lot…

Otherwise, can you try to quickly turn on and off one of your switches physically if there any option for it. I am curious, that can you hit an infinite loop with it. (Because I cannot see any debounce option.)

1 Like

These control switches, so I have never tried to match a dimmer. I took a quick look and don’t see a way to match a dimming level, and didn’t see one. This may be a use case of the Rules API as opposed to the automation creator.

Ya, I’ve heard there is a limit on the number of rules, but havent hit it yet. It took 3 rules in Smarr Lighring, so it wasn’t terrible to change it to six rules within automations. I have a 2 year old daughter who tests all my automations, I can guarantee she has pressed the button more times in a row than I would ever find a need for, there must be something causing it to not loop on the back end.

It looks like a similar situation to the STHM status/control automations. The infinite loop is prevented because only state changes are getting propagated around.

1 Like

About a year ago some people were hitting race conditions by mirroring switches.

So, it seems like there is a light at the end of the tunnel for that issue.

@BrianRain, have you managed to solve that infinite loop issue? There is some hope when local automations will be released publicly it can be solved.