Update on Groovy Platform Migrations

wtf, when did this come about?

4 Likes

Quite. There was me feeling all smug because Iā€™d spotted the Member Permissions in the app this morning (an accident of timezones and waking up early) which I thought was quite a big deal and then Wesley spectacularly trumped me.

It makes the main ā€˜my.smartthings.comā€™ look a bit undercooked though.

4 Likes

The latest release of the CLI supports creating locally executing virtual devices. As far as I can tell my initial guess from a long time back as to how to do it with custom Edge drivers was correct, but my devices have always become unresponsive after a couple of hours in the past.

2 Likes

Thank you to all the brilliant community developers, I now have everything migrated to edge.

1 Like

I just got this new notice this morning with the redirect taking you to the aforementioned ā€œadvancedā€ website. Looks like we only have a few more days with the IDE.

Edit: I still couldnā€™t find any ā€œutilitiesā€ on the new webpage. Iā€™m still looking for a native reboot option.

There are API endpoints for quite a few things like that though currently they donā€™t seem to work with any of the scopes available to end users. I thought Iā€™d seen one for a reboot but maybe I was imagining things or I am confusing it with discovery start and stop. Iā€™ve always assumed there was stuff that needed the Groovy platform gone before we got to play with it.

Hi, @kenobob
Please report that to Customer Support, they should have more info about this.

And with it come yet more API endpoints that arenā€™t part of the published APIsā€¦sighā€¦

https://my.smartthings.com/advanced/cupcake-api/clientv3/scenes?ownerType=LOCATION

https://client.smartthings.com/icons/scenes/morning
1 Like

Now if they would just implement a backup/restore functionā€¦:wink:

2 Likes

Perhaps they have but they need the legacy support out of the way.

3 Likes

14 posts were split to a new topic: Virtual Devices Using New Official Web Interface

They need to be able to enrol their hub into a channel. I canā€™t remember if they need to install any Edge drivers themselves or if it is done automatically (it has been too long and Iā€™ve forgotten). Probably the latter. They also need somewhere to do some clicking to trigger an API call per device. Thatā€™s pretty much it really. Third parties can handle the profiles, Edge drivers and the ā€˜somewhereā€™.

All of my devices finally converted!

It took a while and its been a hell of a ride getting to Edge, but I must say as a long time SmartThings customer, Iā€™m fairly pleased with the results so far. I went from a heavily customized Groovy setup to a 100% edge setup and I believe SmartThings Edge platform is finally falling into place. Iā€™ve got GREAT edge community drivers for everything, even the stock drivers are decent for many things, the new advanced web is a step in the right direction, the web dashboard interface is great, the mobile app is now better than the classic IMHO, local execution is great, my cell phones are working presence sensors again, community driver installation is easier, updating drivers is easier, routines have 95% of the features I need, even Alexa integration is working very good these days. Its obvious you guys have been very busy working on all aspects of this new platform.

Congrats to the SmartThings team for completely changing the wheels of the car while we are all riding down the road! It was a little bumpy but I think its working out. At this point Iā€™m confident that between the staff and the community, this platform will add even more incredible functionality in the future.

11 Likes

Almost all of mine converted to Edge with the latest update except for my Sylvania A19 ZigBee bulbs. Weird.

Iā€™m only 40% of the way there. Still a long haul, or lots of ā€œthingsā€ when done.

My last DTH guys (several Zooz ZSE40ā€™s) converted over to using the installed Zooz driver. Everything seems to work fine!

you are lucky, I went from 40% and mostly functional to 83% and 50% non-functional within less than 24 hoursā€¦

1 Like

Mine, last of 90 devices converted all today, 0 glitch, custom DTHs in the equation. thanks SmartThings! happy.

1 Like

I still have a big pack of devices to go, but most were fine that already were done except for a couple. . . until virtual switches started moving. Been a disaster. 1/3 were deleted and the rest are non functional. 100% failure rate. Fortunately all the Edge ones I implemented were fine. So the actual devices are fine, but half my automation and routines are erroring out. Not complicated to replace, but hard to remember how it all worked and determine whatā€™s missing.

2 Likes

Help!! Same boat!

95% loss on virtual switches yesterday. My routines, and Smart Lights are in total shambles. Several dozen routines are now showing broken, and dozens of smart Lighting automations are broken.

Everything was going well, but this is a pretty major break.

Sat on customer support hold for almost 2 hours to then be disconnected because the service center closed. Not sure what else I can do here.