Unacceptable performance (April 30, 2016)

I’m used to Smartthings messing up from time to time… but today has been ridiculous… anyone else have issues?

• most of my devices are intermittently unresponsive
  • there are enormous delays between turning something on and it actually turning on

I basically cant use my home

WTF is going on?

I’ve had numerous issues too.

Presence sensors showing present on ST app and in IDE device section, but NOT showing present in logs.

Then…randomly appeared as present in logs then disappeared again. Support were looking at my IDE and saw exactly same thing. This was causing issues with mode changes based on presence.

I’ve also had issues connecting new motion sensor, but not sure whether that’s a faulty product as I managed to connect an outlet and another new motion sensor prior to attempting this one

I’m new here and to ST so I want to try not to be overly critical. Things have been working good up until last night when my hub died and needed to be exchanged for a new one. Now that I’m trying to set up the new one, I am getting errors left and right, both in the app and IDE. I pretty much can’t do anything.

Seriously, who is responsible for this?

I feel your pain. :scream: This isn’t intended as a flippant answer…it’s the SmartThings architecture that is responsible, and the smartthings team that is working very hard to improve the stability and reliability of the system. But they’re not there yet.

Just this month, two things happened. The SmartThings CEO posted in these forums to apologize for the instability and to assure everyone that they are making reliability a top team priority. And as part of demonstrating that, they hired a new chief of engineering who was the chief of engineering at Amazon for their technical initiatives, including echo. All of this to help them scale their solution. So they do realize that they have problems, but they don’t yet have a solution.

A lot of the instability comes in a “musical chairs” format where only some customers get hit. (If you’re interested in technical details, google “Cassandra hotspots”.) sometimes one region is more affected than another, but often it’s just completely random. Which adds to the frustration because when you post about a problem in the forums, probably the first few answers you get will be people saying everything is just fine with their system. Which it may very well be. Even if they have a set up that is identical to yours and they live in the next house over. There’s just a high degree of randomness to what fails when.

For now, the best thing you can do is to send in a support ticket to support@smartthings.com or support@smartthings.co.uk depending on which region your account is in.

You can also check the status page at http://status.smartthings.com , just be aware that the company has a philosophy that only problems that are affecting almost all customers get posted to that page. So even when it’s a known error of the “musical chairs” variety, it won’t get posted there.

When SmartThings is working as intended, it is absolutely my favorite home automation system. It is flexible, versatile, the team has a great vision, the community here is excellent. What it isn’t yet is reliable. Since last November I have yet to go 10 days without an impactful SmartThings failure. And I have a very simple set up with almost no custom code.

I do believe them when they say they intend to make it much more stable, and I look forward to that day. In the meantime, it’s up to each person whether the value they receive is worth the amount of time and effort they have to put into maintenance and the amount of patience they have to muster to get through the unresolvable glitches until the system rights itself again.

1 Like

There was a increase in load on the platform around the time you posted this topic, things seem to have settled as of now though.

1 Like

Curious what has caused the events spike? Can you share?

I’ve just started checking this morning and I’m still seeing the unresponsivness and crazy delay… and this is for local (z wave) devices

I’m also seeing issues. Rules aren’t firing when presence detectors leave or arrive.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it was a flippant response at all. I just had the impression that some work had been done to improve performance. Having been in IT for 20 years I understand the reasons, although good design and management practices should never have allowed this to happen in the first place.

Cassandra is highly scalable, seems in the short term they need to deploy more nodes while they work to review and re-engineer the backend.

We understand the issue, but will the average consumer who buys a system in Amazon or Best Buy?

I have also seen problems since about mid-day the 30th, through now (mid day the 1st) with presence sensors and/or logging of them. Interestingly, it seems to be only related to my wife’s phone, mine has been seen coming and going, even though we’ve both been coming and going togther (with our phones).

I still have rules that say they fired but they didn’t. Lights don’t turn off and thermostat temps don’t get set.

Rules say they fired but nothing in the device logs…

Things seem to be back to normal now… but have to say re: high load on servers… this is exactly why if devices can run locally, they should run locally… because if a million people all decide to turn on their lights at the same time … that should not affect my ability to turn on my lights.

1 Like

Completely agree. The local processing aspect of SmartThings is precisely why I chose to buy into the platform over other systems. Wide device support, openness, and some local processing. I would love to see more functionality moved locally, especially SHM (if it isn’t already) and routines.

1 Like