So I looked up how to install webcore on the cell (android) and here is the link I’m looking at:
jkp, are you the author/contributor of the page above? If so, I’d like to offer my inputs.
First, not to be picky but Smartapp should be SmartApp in step 2 of “Installing webCoRE”?
I followed the “Installing webCoRE” instructions and do not see webcore in the SmartApps list. Since I’m somewhat familiar with adding ‘My SmartApps’ code on the backend, I’m assuming webcore is to be treated similarly to the CoRE install and would need to have the webcore code installed in the backend first before I’d see it in the SmartApps list on my phone under Custom…is this correct?
If so, I would suggest a preface with pertinent info and any necessary link(s) on the url page above. Otherwise, the instructions on the wiki page are well read.
When I had installed CoRE, all I did was googled for the raw code, copied it in and published it.
With webcore I’d have to go thru GitHub first? If correct, the entire procedure moved into my ‘cumbersome’ bucket.
IMHO, the process for adding a SmartApp into SmartApps that I’d like to see is:
(after Smartthings app is installed on the phone and from the phone)
- Be able to use a search engine (or library) from within the SmartApps for the webcore app (or any other) and have the SmartApps engine install the code on the backend, request auth,etc. and then place webcore app into the SmartApp list.
Webcore seems to be a powerful tool developed by developers for developers and geeks. If the installation (for any custom SmartApp) was easier for the average slightly technical person (or geeks), more could be inspired to implement more complex smart automations beyond just ST automations.
Since my original post, I have discovered in CoRE that I could create a global variable and instead of defining it as a string, I tried to define it as a number and I was able to place a number value into the global variable. So I will be able to accomplish what I was hoping to, by updating a global variable in my THEN statements, but with numbers instead of strings.
Whenever CoRE gets shutdown, I may possibly consider webcore.
Thanks to all for their inputs