UK LED strip?

Hi, I’ve tried to understand the various alternatives to the Hue light strip but I’m baffled by the choice and terminology!

I’m looking for a safe & reliable (and cheap!) LED 5.5metre light strip powered from a socket. I need to control on/off and brightness with Smartthings, and preferably colour as well.

What module, power supply, LED strip, and device handler is recommended in the UK in 2019 please? Links and simple words would be :fire: :slightly_smiling_face:

I have the Innr 5metre led strip from Amazon, which works fine with Hue. Doesn’t do Entertainment mode, but if you don’t use that it works fine. Currently a shade under 50 quid on amazon, which is cheaper than the Hue offering, and longer too! Works ‘out of the box’ with SmartThings via the Hue bridge.

1 Like

Can’t find a 5 metre one only 4? Looks really good though thanks!

Anyone use any longer ones?

I learnt from this using H801

1 Like

I used a series of H801 modules (£7 each), powered by a 12v DC driver (depends on size £7-£30) and have put them all around my kitchen.

LEDs are either from ebay, but the really good ones I have are from LED (https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/)… Im just a customer! I dont work for them.

You need to flash the H801s, but if you’re good with a soldering iron, its really cheap! I ended up doing a batch of 10, flashing them all, and now we have them all over the house :slight_smile:

Hi @anon36505037, the link you put for the Morelight device just looks like a power supply to me but I think you’re saying you just cut-off the little round DC plug and wire it into the Fibaro?

What length of strip can be driven from one power adapter please? I hear that you get fade towards the end of the strip if it gets beyond 4 or 5m depending on the power supply. I need to have a total run of about 18 metres and it would be very useful to be able to run 2 x 9m.

Hi Robin, on this site they describe RGBW as including a cool white LED and RGBWW as including a warm white LED. However, your description implies the WW includes both warm and cool white LEDS:

Could you please clarify your ideas for what’s best?
I even saw this which has RGB plus a warm and a cold white LED. But surely that’s a different (6-channel) controller?!