Turn on towel warmer on cold mornings?

I want to turn on my towel warmer (Jasco switch) at 6AM on workdays, but only if it’s a cold day. I have a couple of Aeon multisensors outside that I can pull temperatures from, or can one somehow use a “daily low” from a local weather report (I’ve done that on a Vera)? I’d also like the towel warmer to go off in an hour.

Hi @BuffOxide, yes you can using ST’s apps/devices already available to you::

Easiest I think:

First, for the Temperature Sensor from a local report. In the SmartApps Marketplace, within Climate Control, there’s a SmartApp called AccuWeather Connect. When you install the app it automatically builds you the device that can be found in your Things list. It will be called AccuWeather (yourzipcode).

Using Smart Home Monitor, create a Custom Rule using Temperature Sensor (select your Accuweather device), enter a low temp value, use Only during a certain time to say 6AM, and tap on Next. Next, tap on Alert with Lights and select the switch controlling your towel warmer.

What I did via the IDE (harder and it has had ST scheduler issues):

Manually create a new device using the SmartWeather Station Tile device Type, and then manually create a new SmartApp from a template called SmartWeather Station Controller. Install the SmartApp and set it up to use the device you just manually created.

Using Smart Home Monitor, create a Custom Rule using Temperature Sensor (select your SmartWeather Station Tile device), enter a low temp value, and tap on Next. Next, tap on Alert with Lights and select the switch controlling your towel warmer.

I tried to keep the step by step process short, so I assumed you know your way around the phone app and/or IDE. If not, let me know and I can point you to more detailed steps.

1 Like

Or use CoRE with any temp sensor if you are more adventurous.

1 Like