Turn off lights when playing media on Apple TV

Hi Smart people :slight_smile:

I’m in the need of getting Smartthings to due smartthings when i start playing a movie on my Apple Tv.

I found a dude on YouTube who made it Posible via Home Assistant via a Open Source project here:

-> Media
When Apple TV is playing (after 7pm), trigger media-playing light scene; when Apple TV is paused, trigger media-paused light scene [video example]

Does anyone in here have an idea if this is posible with Smarttings ?

It is possible and I am sure some enterprising community member could solve it. To dig a little deeper into what is happening in the video:

Home Assistant is talking to a third party Apple TV remote library which can be found here. It is monitoring the current status of the Apple TV and reacting based on the current state. All of this could be done with SmartThings.

This sort of automation can also be accomplished* with a harmony home hub and a smart app. There are also smart apps that will react based on the state of Kodi and Plex if you have those apps already.

3 Likes

Might not be quite that simple…

I’ve had a quick look on my phone and couldn’t see how status is being reported, I’d strongly expect that the Apple TV won’t push updates, which would mean either ST or a 3rd party exe would need to poll every x seconds, such as the alternative used in Plex Plus when webhooks can’t be used or the polling in Plex HT app…

This would also assume that this api is compatible with ST protocols… unfortunately I don’t have an Apple TV so wouldn’t be able to put the time in to work it out, I might take another look later, if it’s easy to drop in to PlexPlus then I’ll give it a go… but it can be painful without the device to debug…

However if someone else creates the DTH, then Plex Plus can do the rest of the lighting control… if you are using Plex to play your media then what you want is already possible…

Is there any discernible difference in current consumption between play and pause?
If yes then you could use that difference (by monitoring with a smart plug) to do your switching with webcore or similar

If you have the Harmony hub, you can try the below link to KuKu…I have the Harmony hub, Apple tv, etc…and the integration is so so…

The real problem is that I mostly watch Netflix via my Samsung tv app (built in) because it runs on 4k and the Apple tv I have is not the newest one, so no 4k. The only reason I really need Apple tv is because I use the Directvnow app on it and my tv doesn’t have that app available…

I wish there was better integration, but it is so so at this point…

I used Alexa for basic stuff, like turning on the system, etc…but as far as turning channels within Apple tv, I haven’t figured out a way (because you are using different merchant apps…) Once you use voice to control things, it’s hard to go back to even pressing buttons…it would be nice to say “Alexa, turn to Discovery channel” and have it happen. I think it’s possible with Roku? or others, but not Apple tv as far as I know…

I haven’t used this, as I’m not sure what I could use it for, but you might check out this: