Trigger routine on Internet lost?

Hi! Is there any way the hub can trigger a routine when it realizes he lost internet connection?

What I am looking for is for it to:
Switch off a plug
Wait 10 seconds
Switch on a plug
This way I can attach the modem to that plug and the hub will regain connection even if I am not there.

Feasible?

Once the hub loses connection to the internet, routines don’t work. Most of what ST does requires an active internet connection. There are certain devices that can function locally, but the only smartapp that can function locally is smart lighting. I don’t think a smart lighting automation can be configured to do what you describe. I also dont think a routine could do that either, even if your hub was connected to the internet.

Why does your modem keep losing its internet connection?

There isn’t an any way to do it with SmartThings itself for the reasons that @marktheknife mentioned, but there are some plugs which are used to control modems which know when they themselves lose connection with the Internet and are used to reboot modems. That might solve your problem.

There are several different brands of these, here’s one just as an example:

And another one:

And another one in case you want to shop at Amazon:

And Ankuoo offers a very stripped-down single socket version for under $20

All the brands work about the same way, they just have a site that they ping frequently and if the ping doesn’t go through, the pocket socket re-boots itself. Read the product specs carefully as they do have somewhat different features. For example, the first one I listed lets you plug two devices into it and also lets you pick which sites to ping. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thank you, Mark! Unfortunately the ISP says due to maintenance on their side.

JD you are the best! Resetplug is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you so much!

2 Likes

There is a way to do this with smartthings, requires 2 switches both of which have to be able to run locally, have a webcore piston turn on one switch (cloud based) and have a 2nd switch on your router or modem, have that switch on a smart lighting automation to turn off (and there is a setting to automatically turn back on after x minutes) at a certain time shortly after the webcore should run, with the setting that it should turn off only if the webcore run switch is off. This mean if the cloud based piston failed (due to lost connection) then local automation will cycle the modem/router switch, you can get fancy and run as many “checks” as you want, I personally have an outside light that gets turned on every night via a piston that is my check device, and I run a lighting check shortly after it turns on and shortly after it turns off…either fails and the modem gets cycled…

If I understand what you’re saying, and indeed all of those conditionals are available, then that would work fine if you only want to check the Internet status at specific times each day. I understand you could do it once an hour or once every 15 minutes, but you would still have to be doing it at a predefined time.

That’s not quite the same as the use case in this thread, which is where you want events to be triggered by the Internet becoming unavailable.

In your solution, events are being triggered by the results of checking if the Internet is available at a predefined time.

That will work for some people, but not others. Unless they want to set up rules to check every couple of minutes, which is a lot of work.

It’s the same use case I am using it for…internet goes out>Modem restarts>internet is back on…yes it is reactive and not triggered BY the outage but solves the OPs issue with tools they probably already have…

But in your method, that’s not how it goes.

Instead, every day:

When check time is reached, if internet is out, then reboot modem.

You’re not reacting to the moment that the Internet goes out the way the other methods do. You have to wait each time for the checktime.

In the example you gave, you check an outside light once a day in the evening. If the Internet went out at 8 in the morning, you would not be rebooting the modem until 8 or 10 hours later.

And if you want to check more often, you need to dedicate a locally operating switch to every checkpoint. Sure, there may be some that come on every day at the time that you want to check, but how many?

So it all comes down to the details of what each individual household needs.

On the other hand, if you buy one of the reboot switches, you’ve paid for one device but then everything happens automatically after that. And if the Internet goes out, the switch will reboot a minute or two after it goes out.

So your method Will definitely work well for some people, but it’s just not solving quite the same issue as the one introduced in this thread.

The question answered was “Is there any way the hub can trigger a routine when it realizes he[sic] lost internet connection?”

Answer: yes, it most certainly can (took some liberty on routine meaning a plug power cycle)

The response posted to the unasked question “Is there a 3rd party box that pings (read: doesn’t technically trigger on active internet loss either) at an arbitrary refresh cycle (or maybe programmable depending on which one I spend additional $$ on) that would then power cycle my modem”

Yes a worthy, valid and ultimately viable solution to the issue…and a single switch with alternating status (at whatever frequency somebody wanted) could and does achieve the same results sans additional hardware…the box pings a website or smartthings pools a device status…and an action is taken upon a result…

For context (and why I even posted on an old thread) I searched for this issue myself, found this thread, looked at the devices that at the time were no longer in stock, needed a solution, thought about a different approach, tested, and posted to support anybody else that had a similar issue and could use A solution…albeit a different one

2 Likes

And, at least me, thank you for answering this. I got a solution for my problem.

Thanks,

1 Like