Third Reality Smart Switch Gen3 not pairing to Smartthings hub

Hello everyone! First of all, I want to thank you all. I have never met any of you, and chances are I never will, yet I am incredibly thankful to you all for the help that you have given me along the years. You guys ROCK!

Now to my current issue. I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Third-Reality-3RSS009B-Switch/dp/B08HCBW627. When I bought this in December 2023, it had a different name and it said it could connect directly with Smartthings (I just saw that they have changed the name, the description and the info about it connecting to Smartthings).

I have the Aeotec hub. I have installed the drivers for Third Reality and several others for “zigbee things”. If it makes any difference, I can share here the list of the drivers I have installed. Nothing. I cannot get it to pair with the hub no matter what I do or how many times I try. I unplugged and re-plugged the hub, I have taken the batteries from the switch a gazillion times… I have tried doing the paring with another phone (both Samsung phones)… I have cleared the cache on both phones, turned the phones on and off… I have tried deleting the Third Reality drivers and installing them again… I have gotten the device closer to the hub. I have tried scanning the qr code on the device, only to get this answer:

As reference, I had installed 2 TR door sensors a few months ago without a hitch and a couple of days ago, when I tried to install a third one of the same, I had the hardest time and had to install new drivers for TR, reset the sensor and manipulate and try until it finally paired.

I do not know what to do. I can’t even find the option to add a generic Zigbee button anymore (I hate them for changing to “drivers” instead of leaving well enough alone as it was before, but I digress).

Any ideas, please, brilliant people who know a lot more than me? Am I just an idiot who wasted money by not installing this sooner when the device was supported by ST?

Thank you in advance for even reading this.

It has a different name because it’s a different device using a different protocol.

The BLE In the product name means it’s a Bluetooth device, and those don’t work with a SmartThings hub. At all. (You’ll see from the comments this model also works with a Different list of echo devices and it has shorter range.)

You’ll need to return it and get the Zigbee version. :man_shrugging:t2:

The one you have:

The one you need:

(It is quite common for Home Automation device manufacturers to use exactly the same outer case for multiple models using different internal radios because it costs them less money that way. But it can definitely be confusing to potential customers. :thinking:)

1 Like

If that Amazon link is from your purchase history and it has actually changed, then Amazon had the listing wrong.

In your picture you can see your product model which is 3RSS009B, note the B for Bluetooth as @JDRoberts has already pointed out.

The one for Zigbee is 3RSS009Z.

1 Like