Things shield replacement?

Has anyone began creating a replacement for the things shield? I’m going to try create an alternative tomorrow using and xbee and xbee shield.

5 Likes

Some discussion of alternatives in the following thread, both off the shelf and DIY:

CR76, Any luck with getting the xbee shield working as a replacement for the thing shield?

I am getting there I am in the stage of debugging but things have been slow with all the holiday distractions.

I am also interested in getting the xbee shield working w/ smartthings. I just received all of the parts and found this looking to see others progress. Lmk if I can help.

Finally got the basics up and running see the video below. Its very rough and ready at the moment and still needs a lot of work. Hopefully I will release my work so far and a guide on Sunday. Enjoy the video :slight_smile:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KomXbg2voM4

6 Likes

@CR76

Did you ever publish your xbee solution? I’d love to see how it works.

Check this link out Weather underground to ZigBee custom device type

*not sure if this is latest info…

1 Like

Sorry for the slow reply if you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks. I have looked through the code a few weeks back. Does your solution support bi-directional communication? Or just one way from the ST Cloud to the Arduino?

Yeah you can do both ways if for instance you want to send sensor data to SmartThings you can do that.

It seems like I just reinvented the wheel to some extent. I hate it when that happens.
I’m using a Zigbee Xbee on my garage door to ST project. Fairly straightforward stuff just time consuming for hobbyists like myself.

2 Likes