Thermostat differences: CT100, CT100+, CT101, GoControl

From a mounting and wiring perspective the CT100 Plus is identical to the CT101. The screw fit perfectly in the same slots. The difference is in the casing cover which in the CT100 Plus is an external mounted cover vs the CT101 which has in integrated casing with removable top and bottom slots. See the pictures. The second one is the CT-100 Plus mounted on top the CT-101. Identical!

Side by side

CT100 Plus on top of CT101 (screws line up)
IMG_0878

CT100 Plus casing
IMG_0879

Are the mounts mechanically / electrically compatible? Could I pop the CT101 off the mount and attach the CT100+ to the existing mount?

Yes, you can replace it screw for screw, wire for wire

1 Like

So an update to this, in my earlier note I mentioned that the CT-100+ doesn’t show the time/humidity on the screen. After working through it some more we found out that that 's isn’t entire true.

Radio Thermostat has changed the default layout of the screen and in the default layout the humidity/time isn’t shown. However there is a hidden setting (SimpleUI) that can be changed to bring back not just the time/humidity but also additional details like time of day (day/night), day of week etc.

Here is a screenshot of what the thermostat screen looks like with the additional sensors options enabled. (I’ll also update my review above).

In the latest update of the Enhanced Z-Wave Thermostat handler, we have added the ability to show/hide these additional details through the device handler settings.

@TheSmartestHouse FYI

I have just gotten into Smartthings and am slowly acquiring devices. I just obtained a CT-101-L from Lowes (for a very good price). I have not yet installed it and am reading everything about it before I install it. The following has me concerned though:

So, if I include the CT-101 in my z-wave network, I will not be able to change the temperature or other functions manually from the touchscreen of the thermostat? That would be a deal breaker for me. I was under the impression that any z-wave thermostat could be used as a regular thermostat in addition to having the ability to control it remotely via an app. Could someone clarify this please?

You’ll be able to adjust temperature from the thermostat as needed once you connect it to SmartThings, but you won’t be able to program it from the screen. The thermostat can only accept one program to run automatically so once it’s connected to SmartThings, that programming happens from the ST app directly, not from the thermostat screen. You won’t be able to set a back-up program on the thermostat in case SmartThings fails either because the thermostat won’t automatically exclude from SmartThings and it will think it’s still being controlled by the hub. To our knowledge, all Z-Wave thermostats work the same way since they can run according to one program only, not multiple auto-programs at the same time. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the clarification. That certainly helped clear up my confusion.

So @RBoy

If I am using the ST hub to send setpoints to a CT101, the Smart Recovery feature is not able to work? This is for an old HP system, for my son. I am guessing that it might be sensible to use a more aggressive recovery strategy, unless that involves heat strips. Thoughts?

BTW - I am very happy with your SA and DH on my Remotec ZTS-500 and a gas pack. Now that I know the Smart Recovery won’t work, I wish I went that route.

Thanks,
Mike

The CT-xxx have the ability to select between fast recovery (use additional stages to maintain temperature) or economy (use additional stages until temperature differential between target and current temperature is achieved).

1. Did you configure the thermostat to use a multi stage setup?
  2. Did you set the recovery mode to Fast on the thermostat (this shows up only if you’ve configured the thermostat to use the multi stage system)?

Thanks. I’ll check when I get there. What I was referring to is that there is no lead time on a setpoint change triggered by motion, so fast recovery is preferred for motion-based setpoint changes.

Thanks,
Mike