The new Philips Hue outdoor sensor--any DTH yet?

Hi

I have set up a Philips Hue Outdoor sensor using the DigitalGecko DTH and the motion sensor is working perfectly.

I am not getting a reading on illuminance although I can see that the DTH supports this.

Can anyone confirm that they are successfully getting an illuminance reading on the new app or old?

And if so, can you think what i might have done wrong?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Works well for me, thanks to evryone involved, I was missing the Lux reading with a different driver, this one pulls all four measurements into ST

1 Like

Hey,
i’m new here…and tried already the Bogdanelexe90 driver, and this one from DigitalGecko.
I have 2 motion sensors, a SLM001 and a SLM004, they react to these Devicehandlers, but always only the motion, no temeperature or illuminance.
i changed always the drivers model into the model i have, but always stays the same.
I have a hue hub, but not ST hub.
I just want to turn lights on when illuminance drops below certain value, but cannot get it working, not with the hue app, niether with smartthings.

Do i need a ST hub to get this scenario woking?

Rgds
Benny

The Hue app has an option to make the lights turn on when there’s a certain % of illuminance… Does this not work for you?

I have 2 Hue motion sensors connected directly to my ST hub, and it shows Temperature, Lux, battery and motion. (also updates the lux very quick)

Edge Drivers will only work with a smartthings hub. So that’s not going to help. :disappointed_relieved:

And all groovy language device type handlers (DTHs) Will stop working once the transition to the new architecture is complete.

I have searched every where in the hue app, but only find an option to set day an night routine to set lights on and off. This reacts if the light is low. But I don’t find any option to turn lights on when it gets dark or I am looking in the wrong place?

I’m thinking about buying a ST hub. It also seems I only can control my sonos installation if I have a hub. Any suggestions on a good ST hub available in Belgium?

Good question, but way off topic for this thread. :thinking: please start your own topic if you have further questions not related to the Hue outdoor motion sensor.

Meanwhile, the short answer is that there’s only one. SmartThings hubs are now made by Aeotec. It must be the model that says “Works as a SmartThings Hub.”

The UK and EU models are the same, so that’s the one you want.

Don’t get the US or Australian version, they don’t have the right frequency for the EU region.

If you go into the settings there should be these options

You play around with the daylight sensitivity untill it suits your needs. With this you do not have to set a day/night routine with timers… You can just let the motion detector decide on it’s own when it’s getting too dark outside. It saves allot of hassle

The other option is getting the ST Hub; there you can also use the Lumen to set stuff… It’s pretty damn fast in detecting changes (1-2 seconds). You can then also use it for other routines in your house.

There is a Edge driver available for the Hue sensors.

1 Like

Not sure if this helps, but the Edge driver I am developing allows you keep your Hue motion sensors connected to the Hue hub, and then also discover them in ST from that connected hub. The current version is being alpha tested and allows access to the temp/illuminance/battery of the motion sensors for use in ST automations. Support for motion events is on the way and awaiting some new development by the ST team. You retain the normal use of the motion sensors within the Hue app itself.

Let me know if you want an alpha test invite

3 Likes

I would be happy to help test it. I have an aotec hub and hue hub and would be interested in using my hue outdoor sensor with non-hue lights.

1 Like

Sure. Here are a few caveats for those interested…

1. Events originating on the Hue side do not yet get to ST. The driver is waiting on ST to add support for these events, which are in development
  2. Temp/Lux/Battery are polled for use in “laggy” automations. This will be event driven once #1 is done
  3. Lights/Rooms/Zones are also lazily polled for the time being.
  4. Motion is polled, but isn’t usable even in a polled setup. The events are too old to be useful
1 Like

Sorry foir this off topic then…
I ordered the aeotech…so will see what it brings…

1 Like

I have these settings, but even if i put the daylight sensitivy to the lowest…it still needs a motion to trigger it…but anyway, i ordered a st hub…so hopefully this will make it easier to accomplish…

Yep, once i have the hub would be nice to be able to test them to see if i then finally am able to do what i want…simply turn on lights when it gets dark outside :slight_smile:

1 Like

When you link your Hue bridge with the new ST bridge… be sure the connection is local, and not through the cloud.

I went through the same thing last week. Connecting it local makes the whole thing more reliable.

Thnx for the info.
This routine is what i used during last holidays to trigger christmas lights via a hue socket.
But sometimes due to bad weather it’s dark early etc…
Really looking forward to get the st hub…should arrive tomorrow.

Rgds
Benny

1 Like

So Here we are now…
Got the ST Hub…and started it up…
All my lights show up as devices connected locally, also the hub is there as Local Execution…

But Motion sensors don’t show up :frowning:
So went to internet…followed the instructions on scanning etc…got new thing …
But i’m confused now…

• I still apparently need the Device Handler, to make it read everything, but then execution is set to cloud so nothing on the hub.
  • I see illuminance reading…but in the smartthings app…i don’t see it…(only motion/battery/temperature…no illuminance). So also no possibility to set automations on this…

Am i doing something wrong???

EURECA !!!
after a lot of trial and error, i finally got the hue motion sensor working like I want it…
maybe for you all out there…some info so you don’t spend as much time into it as i did…

Here is what i did:

Next thing i’m goint to setup now is my outdoor sensor…

Still 3 questions

• Its now working in smartthings, but in the hue app it’s unreachable…does this mean it cannot work with both hubs at the same time?
  • its using a device handler? I have read somewhere that these will stop working in the future?
  • its stating execution location cloud…does this mean it’s has nothing to do with my ST hub? can it be changed to local and should it not be faster then?

All insights are welcome…

Groovy handlers are deprecated. I’m glad it’s working for you, but I would be prepared to go through this again later this year. You will need to find an Edge driver for it. I have a driver in progress for motion sensors connected to the Hue Hub. There is also a direct ST connected driver available for motion sensors as well, but I don’t have a link to that developers site.

1 Like