The End of Groovy Has Arrived

I have a v2 (2015) hub and it hasn’t upgraded yet to the EDGE, just zigbee and zwave. Assuming that will update some day?

1 Like

I also have a v2 (2015) hub.
The recent updates have been more ‘EDGE ready’ rather than an instantaneous transition.
Also EDGE is the new SmartThings architecture; zigbee and zwave are not going away.
In your SmartThings app, click on your hub. Then click on the 3 dots top right. Select ‘Information’.
What ‘Firmware version’ do you see. Mine is 000.045.00011
This is the latest production release.
The transition to EDGE is happening and will continue to progress over the remainder of the year.
People who wanted to be ahead of the curve joined the EDGE beta program; I did.
For more information you are going to have to read more widely; this whole thread would be a good start.

2 Likes

I’m an “out of the loop” developer - have just created apps in the Groovy IDE, admittedly wasn’t aware of all these upcoming changes.
I have approximately 50 ZWAVE devices I’ve been managing through my apps and Smartthings.
Have a couple of custom drivers that I’ve installed, for example for multi-relay.

Is there a summarized guide for porting my apps and code so I can continue using them with my devices? I don’t mind getting a local server going, just looking for some practical guide for restoring my ability to maintain my apps and environment.
And/or is there a summarized guide for step-by-step installing an environment where I can maintain the same level of service and automation to my devices by using the new platform?

Sadly not, but there is a community FAQ for users that might be a good place to start. It will give you the basic concepts and terminology, plus links to the (several) official announcements and more places to research.

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

Looks like Live Logging has been removed from the IDE. :frowning:

I lost that about 2-3 weeks ago in UK.

Surprised they aren’t focusing more on completing the transition before removing functionality.

1 Like

I’m surprised they aren’t announcing each change and publishing a guide to alternatives. :thinking: They did for the Classic app transition when a bunch of official smartapps were discontinued. They had a table on the support site showing what was going away and what the replacement was.

5 Likes

Totally agreed on the lack of communications. You wouldn’t think it would be that hard to provide an updated schedule with details of all major changes. It certainty seems like their schedule has slipped quite a bit.

3 Likes

I think they know by now that removing functionality is the only way they have of successfully getting the message across. While their communication won’t get too many accolades they are on a hiding to nothing.

I seem to have lost the ability to edit my custom DTHs. I have been manually switching devices over to Edge drivers and have been editing the DTH to comment out the Fingerprint. Today I don’t have the ability to edit them anymore? Can anyone else confirm this?

Same here. You can go into the editor, but can’t type or change anything.

@nayelyz this is an issue for those of us still manually transitioning devices and drivers from DTH’s to Edge.

Hi, @csstup, @5spot!
I already asked the team about this. I’ll let you know their feedback

5 Likes

Notice that my 2 Aeotec Multisensor 6 are reading quite different temperatures.
They are on the Aeotec driver which offers temp Offset, but when I add an offset the reading does not change. Is this normal? At this stage I dont have a way to check if it is reporting a different value to routines, etc.

How much time did you give it when checking for the change? Many battery powered zwave devices cue up parameter changes and process them in a batch once a day or maybe every 4 hours. This is to save battery life. So if you change a setting in the driver you might not see the effect until the next day.:thinking:

Some manufacturers, but not all, provide a way to force a device to reconfigure immediately, usually by physically pressing a button, so you need to check the user manual and look for configuration options.

1 Like

All of my Samsung buttons have migrated to edge on their own. This is the 1st and only change I’ve seen thus far. When can we expect Smart Lightning to migrate? What about other devices? We are over a month from the “launch” of the migration (and that was delayed 2 weeks) and very little progress. Perhaps an updated timeline would be appropriate.

Please please don’t leave us a week or 2 before Groovy ends to figure out everything!

Here too. Check your associated routines, if you haven’t already.

I’ve search the forums for information on this but have not seen a response that addresses why all of my SmartThings Multipurpose sensors are showing in the App that they are converted to an Edge Driver, namely “SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor Mc” however they are displaying in the IDE Device List as a “SmartSense Multi Sensor” rather than “placeholder”, which suggest that they are not ready to migrate.

If they are already using an Edge driver, theres nothing to migrate.

Given that the devices seem to have been migrated, couldn’t this suggest that migrated devices don’t show the ‘placeholder’ device type?