I don’t know about you guys but I’ve tried a lot of different dimmers and bulbs over the last few years to try and get the perfect solution, but there’s always a compromise. Admittedly things have gotten a lot better recently but it’s still taken a massive amount of effort to get to this point.
I’ve been trying to find a dimmer that:
- Operates exactly like a traditional dumb switch/dimmer
- Looks like a good quality regular UK switch, choice of finishes, flat/screwless etc.
- Works with LED bulbs and multiple GU10s
- Actually dims properly, smoothly and without flickering
- Is a direct replacement for existing 2 wire switch (no neutral needed at the switch box)
- Doesn’t require deeper sockets / new rose / junction box.
- Can be linked to a smart home system (e.g. SmarThings), not a separate proprietary app.
Sound familiar? After a lot of trial and error, I’ve found the Varilight Eclique 2 -> http://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro-eclique-2.php
This ticks all the boxes and I’ve been using several of them, in various multi-gang and multi-way configurations. You can have up to 4 groups of lights in one room and you can program 4 different scenes with various levels for each group. These can be recalled via the (rather cheap and nasty) Varilight IR remote, or you could program a Logitech Harmony to do the same. Or you can just use the switches as normal.
But there’s no smart home integration! So I’ve created a tiny box that you plug in anywhere in the same room and this allows you to control the Eclique 2 as if it were any other ZigBee dimmer.
So you get all the functionality of a normal UK switch, it’s a direct replacement with no extra wiring or faffing, it looks great and comes in 3 styles (Classic/ScrewLess/UltraFlat) and loads of colours. They cost £20 for the switch + the price of the device I’m making.
Is this something anyone would be interested in?