Tell me your IDE issues

Have properties of installed app show correct app state and settings.

3 Likes

ā€œSave Asā€ function.

Generally, an entire online filesystem should be available to the developer to save works in progress, templates / code fragments, rename, folders, and run ā€œgitā€ within.

2 Likes
  • #include

For personal or public source code fragments not in compiled library form.

This would give us some clean code reuse / modularity ability. IDE editor and debugger, though, now has to be able to jump to referenced included files.

(Of course, the ability to create / use own classes and jars is a bigger wish, not in IDE scope.).

5 Likes

Ability to embed (virtual) device handlers within SmartApps.

2 Likes

Explain? Example? Is this an IDE feature or an architectural change?

Might be considered architectural change.

For example, allow SmartApp to automatically create virtual switches to trigger certain actions. Allow Service Manager to create child devices based on the code that is embedded in the Service Manager.

This could be achieved right now if child device type is installed in a separate process.

1 Like

Yupā€¦ I guess we can all let @Dianoga make the call as to how to categorize, but I have a feeling he ought to make an ā€œout of scopeā€ feature / bug list that is distict from IDE improvements, and distict even, from unlikely or low priority IDE improvements.

The ā€œout of scopeā€ list should be passed around other ST architecture / engineering Teams ā€¦ Even if they are platform / developer wishes, not consumer.

Right now Iā€™m only really looking for IDE improvements. I can keep track of other things, but I wouldnā€™t expect much right now as everyone is pretty busy.

1 Like

I canā€™t believe no one has suggested this yetā€¦

Intellisense or autocomplete

Macros?

Templates?

Think this is all the same ā€œrequestā€

But to satisfy the people who are purists, make it togglable.

6 Likes

I agree on all of theseā€¦

1. I implied by my suggestion of ā€œCloud9ā€ as an arbitrary good example of an online IDE / Editor; but thanks for the particular highlight.

2. Do you mean editor macros or code macros? Perhaps slightly related to my post suggesting #include if you mean code macrosā€¦ ?

3. Yah ā€¦ Templates are great idea. ā€œIntelligentā€ templates would be a miracle. I wouldnā€™t mind seeing this concept extended to an actual code generator ā€“ i.e., using a form / GUI that does interactive rule building, the code is spit out for you to tailor as desired.

2 Likes

Simulator canā€™t seem to support powerMeter devices.

2 Likes

Setting breakpoints and debuggingā€¦just in timeā€¦

4 Likes

The actual active and inactive status of devices in the IDE. Currently means nothing.

2 Likes

Consistemcy in the time zone being shown for anything in the IDE. My presence is shown in EDT and my wifeā€™s in universal.

5 Likes

Zwave mesh map. Step by step zwave repair status.

9 Likes

Zigbee mesh map. Topology.

9 Likes

Actual outcome of every hello home action with auto retry optionā€¦ Donā€™t give us a status that sunset triggered successfully but underlying expected behavior failed. Retry and let us know what failed.

2 Likes

Presence in IDE. Accuracy and reliabilityā€¦ When trigerredā€¦ If failed why?

2 Likes

Why zwave repair status under hue or sonos connect app in th e IDE live logging? They are not zwave devices.