Teenager bathroom timer

Ok…if you have boys (Not sure about girls since I only have boys), you know they spend entirely too much time in the shower. Has someone worked on a solution to flash the lights 10 minutes after the light is turned on, then again in 5 minutes, then leave them in the dark. Just want to get the shower times below 15 minutes. Wife will not allow me to install an external valve or I would turn off the hot water a few times. Worse case, she has a trip planned in September and the valve gets installed.

1 Like

I just set it up so that they can’t trip the motion detector by swinging their arm out of the shower. So, if they are actively in the bathroom, that’s fine, but if there is no motion for more than 10 minutes (which I think is long enough, but you can change it to 15 or 20 minutes), it will shut off the lights (the fan stays on for 20 minutes after no motion). Now, granted, you may have to get creative with the location of the motion sensor.

The flashing idea is cool, but then they know they have 5 more minutes, I just shut it down at 10 minutes, that keeps them guessing :slight_smile:

For whatever reason, kids hate taking showers in the dark :slight_smile:

I sympathize with the issue of kids using up all the hot water. :scream: Personally, I’d go for something that just shuts off the hot water in that shower after 15 minutes.

I’d seriously reconsider the “leave them in the dark” idea, though. That’s a major safety issue. If the kid is feverish and has the flu, throws up in the bed, gets up in the middle of the night to take a shower, and takes a little too long, you end up with a sick kid in the dark in the shower, and you’ll be lucky if that doesn’t end up with an ER visit. Or worse. And it doesn’t address the issue of the kid who takes a shower too long in the daytime. :sun_with_face:

1 Like

I have the Zooz Multi Sensors in my Baths and I uses CoRE to set up a “couple”<—Ha! of rules. I used a combination of humidity and variables for my “opposite” situation. I actually don’t want the lights to turn off if in shower. This will give you an example of all you can do with a CoRE Piston:

Add Group
Add Conditions
If Humidity Sensor was less than or equal to 56
And
Humidity raises above 60
When True (For Group)
Using Location
Set Variable {showeron} boolean=True

Or

Add Condition
If Humidity Sensor stays less than or equal to 56 for 15 minutes
When True
Using Location
Set Variable {showeron} boolean=False

Or

Add Condition
If Variable {showeron} boolean=True
When True
Using Bathroom Automation (Virtual Switch)
Turn Off

Or

Add Group
Add Conditions
If Motion Sensor is active
And
Bathroom Automation Switch is On
And
Variable {showeron} boolean=False
When True (For Group)
Using Bathroom Light
Set Level to 75%

Or

Add Group
Add Conditions
If Motion Sensor is inactive
And
Bathroom Automation Switch is On
And
Variable {showeron} boolean=False
When True (For Group)
Using Bathroom Light
Wait 5 Minute
Set Level to 15%
Follow Up with Piston (This One)
Wait 1 Minute
Turn Off
Cancel on Piston State Change

True on the safety. I’m not concerned with them getting in while sick. I can barely get them in while healthy. Once they are in, I can’t get them out.

Another thought.
10 mins = flash
12 mins = flash
14 mins = slowly dim the lights over 90 seconds.

1 Like

You can do this with CoRE or webCore. Only part is the motion sensor will have to stay active in order for the time to actually work which will make your light go through the cycle whether or not someone was in the shower. You really need something that will indicate whether or not the shower is being used. A valve is the ideal solution or like I posted above, a moisture sensor. It takes my sensor above 6 minutes to turn on the exhaust fan. My humidity doesn’t go above 60% unless the shower is in use or we are being cheap and turn off the A/C on a hot and muggy day.

Using Core Basic Piston:

If Motion Stays Active for 10 minutes
Then Using Light
Flash
Wait 2 Minutes
Flash
Wait 2 Minutes
Fade to 5% Duration 90 Seconds
Cancel on Piston State Change

My thought was to use the light switch as my trigger. It’s not just the shower, they sit on the toilet forever. It wouldn’t be bad but there is only two toilets in our house and their mother refuses to share with them.

1 Like

How about you set up a speaker that starts playing classical music… :wink:
(just kidding!)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2011/04/classical-music-still-works-at-dispersing-loitering-teens-.html

4 Likes

Nice. This is a great idea!

1 Like

i believe @bamarayne has a couple basketball teams of kids. Maybe he has some creative ideas.

1 Like

I have a speaker in there and if they are taking too long I use EchoSistant and yell at them. I also start playing horrible music… Yanni, Cindy Lauper, back street boys, and turn off the lights…

1 Like

their mother’s voice nagging them to get out of the shower? may interrupt the activity…

3 Likes

Send them annoying text messages every 30 seconds. You know they have their phones in there.

OMG I LOVE this thread cause it’s so true. I have 2 teenage boys and both of them will stand in the shower till the hot water runs out. One will come out no cleaner than he went in just wetter.:fearful: It got so bad 3 years ago the fan couldn’t vacate the humidity fast enough and it would get this… rain in the bathroom. the condensation would pool on the ceiling and drip all over the place. I put in a switch with a built in humidity controller on it for bathroom fans and installed the largest fan Lowes offered, like 190CFM or something in a average sized bathroom. If I had ST like I do now I’d definitely be using a motion sensor with humidity and temp readings to control fans and lighting.

On a side note when I’ve had enough and they wont get out I revert to plan B. When I installed the water heater it’s normal to install a 1/4 turn ball valve on the cold side for servicing and such. I installed one on the hot side too. More than once I’ve used that valve on the hot side. There is a 12-15 second delay till the last of the hot water travels to the other end of the house then zrip the shower ends very abruptly. Good luck with your project and DO let us know how it turns out.

1 Like

Time to install a z-wave valve on it and setup some rules based on shower/bathroom motion!

hi

sorry

I am erasing it straight away

regards

1 Like

I wish your dad good luck with his product. However, this site is for people who are using the Samsung SmartThings ™ Home automation system, so all of the questions and answers are expected to be in that context. That means that people are looking for devices that can integrate with the Samsung SmartThings system, which the product that you linked to cannot. :disappointed_relieved: and they are going to expect that any posts are about devices that have that integration.

I think you’re going to find that these days people are generally looking to add devices that integrate with other home automation systems of one kind or another, if only the voice assistants like Alexa and Google Home.

Yes! Apologies! I am very interested in helping him get his technology integrated with smart systems! Hope to come back in the future with an update!!

1 Like