Swidget - Modular IoT Outlets Kickstarter (ZigBee, Z-Wave, WiFi)

I’m always leery of Kickstarter projects but this looks interesting. Especially the ZigBee to IR control module.

http://swidget.com

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been watching this also. I am not sure I trust it’s going to make it.

I’m looking forward to the aromatherapy! :nose:

So was I. Until I found it isn’t available with ZWave control. :grin:

Kind of a cool idea, but an awful lot of options for a start-up product, IMHO. Kickstarter funding looks like it may turn out shy of their goal…

Considering they just announced their Kickstarter today, they are doing extremely well.

1 Like

This is an interesting product…

I still want someone to make a smart outlet that allows for both outlets to be controlled AND be economical. So far, I haven’t really seen anything (aside from Sonoff) that fits my criteria.

Oh! Didn’t realize that. I just glanced at the end target date! Hmmmmm… :blush:

Interesting…given my own experience of developing a Kickstarter ready product (www.rhoob.com …apologies for the plug) they must have funding from elsewhere and not be relying on Kickstarter, $40k won’t go very far but good luck to them, the concept is pretty neat.

My guess is there are using Kickstarter to test the products’ marketability before committing to developing the full range.

Very interesting idea. But as a Kickstarter offer I’m pretty underwhelmed. For $55 I might (IF they reach their funding goal AND make good on the offer) get 2 outlets ($27.50 each) with the basic WiFi control module (or $90…$45 each…if I want the Z-Wave version) 11 months from now, with no indication that the other modules are going to be available some time before the sun goes nova.

That’s not a particularly alluring risk vs reward proposition. I think I’m going to pass on this one.

Looks like they already hit their initial Kickstarter funding in only three days. I personally think this idea has a bunch of promise, but with them announcing a limited initial release of modules, I’d prefer to wait see an established product. Especially when we are a year out from expected release.

Not a chance that this meets child safety requirements for UL listing for an outlet. This is a dorm room idea. :wink:

You might be able to do it with a light switch, but not with something at toddler level.

They claim it will meet child safety requirements.

Certainly child safety was top of our list when we designed Swidget. Each electrical outlet has built-in tamper resistant shutters as is now standard for electrical outlets. As for the insert cavity, it’s as safe as a USB port – designed specifically so that there are no high voltages or unsafe connections inside the cavity.

It looks like at least some of those modules won’t pass the choke tube test, though.

We’ll see what UL thinks. :wink:

Try one of these out. Has 2 built in switches, just have to remove the brass break away tab so the two outlets work separately. I have had one installed since 2016 with the top plug opening a louver and the bottom plug turning on a fan. bit more complicated than just installing an outlet, then again you can modify any off the shelf outlet…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7OD3ME/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I backed this way back when, and I think it will be a game changer. They have provided regular detailed updates, and been very transparent. hoping to see something first quarter 2019. I am super interested in CO sensors, Motion Sensors, Temp Humidity Sensors, Cameras, Night lights… I can see slowly adding Swidget outlets in every room of the house. They will be at CES this year, hoping it gains momentum.

I agree with @BradCorm and received my “perk” a few days ago. It is a Z-Wave only insert. It paired with ST as a Z-Wave Metering Switch. But is not working. I’m in communication with support and will report back.

Update(1): About 45 minutes after the install it began to work. There’s still a small issue. I have not yet heard back from support (they’re really busy dealing with all the crowdfunders and more) yet.

At the regular price of $70 for a single receptacle with a single function insert, I’m not seeing them as competitive. To get any other functions you have to swap out the sensor part, so you only get one function at a time, not all of them. And although it replaces two sockets in a wall outlet, only one of the sockets is controllable.

https://swidget.com/shop/

I was wrong about their safety certifications, though, they did get it ETL certified, so that’s good news.

It’s fun to write about, I’m sure, so they’re getting a lot of press, but when you think about how the end consumer will look at it is having The aesthetic advantage of having all of those devices look exactly the same worth the price of pretty much double that of competitors? I guess we’ll find out, Amazon is carrying it now.

2 Likes

I agree. I’m just not seeing any value there. Yeah, it’s got some tech coolness going for it, but not nearly enough to justify such high prices for so little functionality. $39.99 for the base unit that, without spending even more on optional modules, is the functional equivalent of a $0.68 duplex outlet from Home Depot? If you add the cheapest insert (the $5.99 USB charger) you’ve now paid $46.98 for
a 68-cent outlet and a single 2.0A (not even quick charging power) USB charger. Get one of the $29.99 wireless control inserts instead and you now have a $69.98 Z-Wave/Wi-Fi smart plug + dumb plug outlet that give you the same functionality of Z-Wave outlets…from established product lines…that can be had all day every day for around $30.

I’m still going to pass.

2 Likes

Or even better, pay under $30 and get a Z wave device with two independently controllable sockets and a USB slot. :sunglasses:

However, at the kickstarter price and given that they did get the ETL certification, the swidgit is pretty cool. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It is more than just looking the same. The bulky plug-in units can block outlets if you’re not careful with selection. Also, you can change the inserts making it easy to alter your setup as desired.