SmartThings Community

[SURVEY] Vote for Your Favorite Z-Wave/Zigbee Motion Detectors / Sensors

I see two different smartthings motion sensors on amazon, which are the ones you use?

I am using the older version (the eye is in the middle). But wouldn’t expect any less efficiency from the new model (eye on the upper corner).

1 Like

I have a mix of old and new SmartThings zigbee ones, PIR Pet Immune zwavers, and one Aeon multi-5. I click the PIR since I have the most of them, but they all mostly work. Mostly.

1 Like

how is your multi 5 on batteries ? Is it killing them quickly like mine is… I may hook up the usb. I have mine in the basement because it is a nice multi purpose device with the temp and the lux option as well, so I can tell if the lights are left on etc, or it is too cold in the basement all with the one device… At least it is aaa batteries which are not too expensive…

[quote=“Lgkahn, post:35, topic:37883”]
how is your multi 5 on batteries ? Is it killing them quickly like mine is… I may hook up the usb.
[/quote]Mine’s on USB power, sitting on my desk, so they’re infinite. Need to figure out how to power it when I put it outside for motion/light control. It’s going on a garage wall, so I expect I will keep it powered off USB and just drag an extension cord or some other hideous hack :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Hey @joshuairl , this is an awesome idea for comparing brands. Since you started it. You should make this voting for different devices as well. Very useful idea for ST.

2 Likes

Should we consider the PEQ’s the same as Smartthings?

1 Like

My 4 or 5 1st Gen ST sensors generate about 1 or 2 false positives a month, which is very tedious from a security perspective.

I had an Aeotec sensor which generated so many false positives that I pulled it down. It’s now sitting on my workbench.

I just recently installed an Ecolink. They are of of the most affordable out there. No false positives for a week but it is only switches back to “no motion” after 4 minutes, which may be too long for a high-traffic area.

I also have one Fibaro. It’s never ever once given me a false positive, has a fast reaction time, and a cool form factor. It’s got a shorter range of vision, however, and it costs twice as much as the Ecolink.

Not sure why we get so many false positives. Either there are a lot of quality issues in this market, or we’re haunted by infrared-reactive ghosts.

1 Like

Depending where you have them isntalled, the sensor could be triggered by the HVAC. I’ve had this problem with Ecolimk and Smartsense. Not so much with fibaro.

Sun and clouds also caused false positives.

So it definitely so far seems fairly inconclusive…
However, there seems to be a popularity with Fibaro sensors but unsure I’m liking the price tag or their appearance for that matter.

Ideally I’d love a 360 degree sensor but not really sure that is necessary.

My main goal I think is to detect occupancy (or more or less the lack of occupancy) to know when it is okay to turn the lights off. Will any of these work for those purposes? Are there any edge cases where someone would be suddenly in the dark and trip and hurt themselves?

In my head, I can’t think of a time, even with the 4 minute thing that it would happen if I give a delay of say 10 minutes of inactivity…?

I have 3 (Aeon, ST and Fibaro) and Fibaro is by far the best. Haven’t had ONE issue in 8 months. Small form factor, easy to mount and remove, worth the extra $20 IMO.

1 Like

Iris Motion by far. $28 its cheaper than the Smart Things one, and comes in at half the size. Barely notice it in the corner. It even does temp

Different things work for different use cases. There’s no one “best.” :sunglasses:

The following thread has a detailed discussion of sensor features to help people select the best match for whatever particular need they have at the time.

Famous story from Amory Lovins that everybody hears in engineering school at some point…Big client hires a consulting firm and says they need a cutting tool.

So the team goes away and they do research, and hold focus groups, and issue surveys, and four days later they come back carrying an absolutely gorgeous chainsaw. It has every bell and whistle you can imagine, every safety feature, and it’s a great value.

So the consultants, very pleased with themselves, put the chainsaw on the table. And they say to the clients, “what do you want to cut?”

And the client says, “Butter.”

It’s not just that a $1.99 butter knife is cheaper than the $399 chainsaw. It’s a better tool for the job. You can’t cut butter with a chainsaw.

This is called “appropriate technology.” And it’s an absolute essential for solving problems in home automation.

If you folks want to build a features matrix in the community-created wiki, that would be of fantastic value to the community.

But you can’t choose the best cutting tool until you know what they want to cut.

And the same is true for motion sensors, switches, relays, even light bulbs.

First the use case. Then the tool selection.

Just one engineer’s opinion, :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Just realized your comment was on the motion sensors and not the relays… However, I feel the post still relates to this survey as well.

Altered it for the motion sensors:
Nobody is asking for a cutting tool.
We aren’t comparing all cutting tools or all HA products of various use cases.
Nobody is saying definitively which device is the best.

This is a simple survey to understand popularity, existing implementation, and overall happiness with this SPECIFIC category of devices.

These all serve the exact same purpose and their use cases are so narrow its silly to even think otherwise.

As much as I appreciate the effort and time you put in to explaining your stance… I feel your comments are reaching for relevance at this point and they just won’t find it here.

You’re heavily over thinking these polls.

Also, the matrix you’re describing is already in the works at http://smarthomedb.com

Each person’s level of happiness with any given motion sensor depends on the specific details of the use case they tried to solve with it.

They might well give it a completely different rating if they’d used it in a different situation. For example battery life is a huge factor for sensors deployed in locations where it’s difficult to get to them. But may be a much less important factor for an easily accessible one.

Same person. Same sensor. Different rating.

As for this…you’ll be amazed at the creativity of this community. Motion sensors are used in many different ways, for many different purposes. And different factors will have a higher priority depending on the exact use case.

A motion sensor used indoors as an intentional touchfree switch, as many people do in this community, will be measured against different priorities than one used outdoors as part of a border detection system.

Some motion sensors are pet adjustable, some are not. That matters a lot to some people and not at all the others.

The choice of zigbee versus zwave depends on many different factors, and again the answer will be different for different people. And zwave plus is yet another factor.

There’s an aesthetic factor as well: some people think the Fibaro sensor is really cool, others think it’s creepy.

Some motion sensors have visible indicator lights, which may be inappropriate for placement in bedrooms.

Some have tamper detection, which may be critical in certain security deployments, but meaningless if the sensor is just used to turn on the television in a home theatre setup.

Some motion detectors also detect lux values, again helpful for some use cases, irrelevant to others. The same with temperature.

Reporting frequency, and whether that is adjustable, vary a great deal from one model to another.

Some are eligible to run locally in SmartThings installations while others are not. Again this is a feature which is very important to some use cases and not at all to others.

Some are much easier to mount on walls or ceilings than others. Or to place in corners.

If you think all these devices are completely interchangeable, just buy the cheapest one. But I would respectfully suggest that it’s not at all silly to assume that some features will be of more value in some use cases than others.

Like many members of the community, I use multiple brands of motion sensors in my house. Sometimes that’s just an accident of which one was on sale, but more commonly it’s a matter of which one has the features best suited to the use case for which it is deployed.

4 Likes

I’m totally not disagreeing with you.
Honestly, I enjoy philosophy as much as the next guy but these SURVEYS really aren’t meant to be a definitive buying guide or to outline everyones use cases. They are simple and variably interesting.

Sometimes they bring out perspectives / use cases / issues that may have not been presented in another post and can help people understand the differences between the devices.

Also, some old posts about these individual devices and even reviews don’t always update people when they fail. Making a refreshing poll about them, brings to surface peoples recollections of using these devices and some people may report how long they have lasted them, etc.

It’s really just a refresh of that, and simply keeping relevant discussions happening about groups or types of HA devices.

Again, I stress, try not to overthink these surveys. It’s all in good consumer fun and they aren’t sanctioned as a way to sell more devices or persuade someone to buy a certain thing. But it can HELP people when looking for what people use in relation to the SmartThings platform versus just seeing general reviews about the device on Amazon from non-ST users.

That being said, I think I’m done philosophizing on the value or efficacy of these surveys. With all due respect of course! I definitely love philosophy but want to keep these topics somewhat relevant to their general purpose. :slightly_smiling:

P.S. I would never underestimate the creativity and brilliant minds roaming this community. I appreciate all feedback I can get but again, never meant to insult anyones creativity. Generally, however, these devices are used to detect motion and knowing this fact, it’s okay to compare them side by side as such. If someone wants to explain why they voted it 1 based on their use case… so be it… but if they don’t explain it, then it will just get put into the average rating and will hopefully work itself out in sheer votes.

Also, I changed my original post and dropped the word “best” from the 1 to 5 rating explanation.
It now reads “5 being your personal highest satisfaction”.

But I doubt it’s going to skew the results much… :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32789819896.html or http://bit.ly/2Ue0G9f

The Brand NEO COOLCAM motion sensor zwave is good.