I’ve been using a couple of Philips Hue Motion Sensors with their bulbs for a couple of months now - overall I have been please.
I have just ordered my Smartthings starter kit so will be setting it up soon and it made me wonder - what’s the best motion sensor currently on the market that works with Smartthings? ‘Best’ is obviously dependent upon what the use case is. What drew me to Smartthings is the opportunity to use the same motion sensor for managing lights while in and for security while out. With this in mind the following is important:
- Can be setup with Smartthings relatively easily
- Sensitivity to motion
- Ability to detect motion at a certain distance (i’m only using in doors so doesn’t need to be beyond 4-5 meters)
- Response time (you’d want it to be v snappy to respond to an intruder OR walking into a room and triggering a light)
- Battery (not sure what’s reasonable)
- Any extra features (temperature, humidity, camera, could be used out doors etc) which are nice to haves.
As there’s a few device handlers now available I’ve come across the following options:
- The standard Smartthings Motion Sensor
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Blink indoor camera and motion sensor (extra perk of a camera)
- Aeon Labs Multi Sensor 6
Has anyone tried more than one of these? I’d be keen to hear what you see as the pro’s and con’s of each.
The Blink would be great from a multi purpose perspective (not sure if it has a lux sensor, but if it did then it would handle light management + security motion and camera all in one).
I’m asking now before I start investing in a load of motion sensors to put around the house