Sunrise/Sunset Times Incorrect

Hi all,

Sorry for what looks like a duplicate post. I’ve searched around and there has been discussion of my problem, but all the solutions I have been able to find seem to refer to the defunct Classic app.

I have numerous lighting automations that call for lights to come on at sunset. However, I’ve noticed that timing of the automations is becoming more inaccurate each day. When I look in IDE, I see the following times for sunset/sunrise.:

Time Zone America/New_York
Weather
Sunrise 7:21 AM
Sunset 4:35 PM

I’ve seen in other threads that changing the geolocation to something different and then changing it back can solve the problem. When I change the location to LA and I get this:

Time Zone America/Los_Angeles
Weather
Sunrise 4:21 AM
Sunset 1:35 PM

Obviously, we’re a little off here :slight_smile: When I change the location back to my actual location, the sunrise/sunset times revert to 7:21 AM/4:35 PM.

If anyone has any suggestions here it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Where can you see that btw?

do you have Smart Lighting installed? if not, install it and create a smart lighting rule that uses sunset/sunrise. it may need to run once before it properly adjusts to the correct time. so allow 24 hours and check the time.

1 Like

IDE > locations > click on location name

1 Like

Holy crap - that worked! I did not have Smart Lighting installed. I followed your instructions and now I have this in IDE

Time Zone America/New_York
Weather
Sunrise 6:47 AM
Sunset 5:39 PM

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

those times are still slightly off but they should be better in 24 hours if you created a smart lighting rule :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got mine to correct itself when I clicked on the sunrise section, scrolled to the bottom of the weather app, and then pressed refresh.

Where do you find the sunrise section? Smart lighting no longer is available on windows beta, Home monitor is showing on my screen. On my Android it still shows Smart Lighting and it shows all the routines that I have created using sunrise and sunset. But as of a few weeks ago I realized that they were running at the wrong times. I checked IDE and the location weather times are now wrong. I’ve tried all the suggestion above and they haven’t worked.

At this point… you can ignore anything from this thread in regards to IDE or smart lighting. IDE is in the process of being shut down. The data shown for sunrise/sunset is no longer updated there.

Best recommendation is to use Routines for anything dealing with sunrise/sunset.

1 Like

Thanks, that was very simple and understandable. I will convert all my smart lighting apps to routines

A specific use case you can’t do directly in a ST Routine is the use of a relative time and specific time as preconditions. So, if you want 10pm to Sunrise or Sunset to 1am, only Smartlighting supports that directly (only during these times option).

The workaround in a Routine is the use a virtual switch as a “variable” to track state with Routines to turn the virtual switch on/off at your desired times. Then you can use this virtual switch as a precondition in your Routine. Example, let’s use a virtual switch named “Nighttime” that is turned on at 10pm and turned off at Sunrise. You then use that as a precondition with whatever other trigger you would like. So:

If Nighttime is on (precondtion)
Motion detected on some sensor
Then Turn on some light at 10%

You also can’t turn on/off a device with a single Routine if you are using mixed specific and relative times. Even if you define the Power on and Power off times in the device’s Routine tab, the app will create two Routines. Only specific on/off times can be done with a single Routine by using the Power on and off option in the device’s Routine tab.