I’m completely new to the Smart Home idea and was hoping for some guidance on getting started. I live in the UK. My plan is to start by focusing on security and buying the following:
- Smartthings Hub v2
- Several Fibaro motion sensors which I have seen discussed in other threads
- Several presence detectors
- Several motion detectors
- A couple of live cameras
- A siren (preferably outdoor as a deterrant)
I’m trying to keep this cheap and I’m a bit out of my depth starting out since there are so many choices. My questions are:
- Is it worth buying the Smartthings Hub v2 starter pack or is it better to pick up other items to go with the hub?
- Where do you actually buy version 2 of the hub? When I look on Amazon and a few other places they seem to be version 1.
- Do I need to buy the Fibaro Home Center in order to use the Fibaro sensors, or is the Smartthings Hub sufficient?
- Am I right in thinking that I could tie Google Home into this somehow, if not now then in a few months time? I’d like to get one of those at some point down the line.
- Finally, are there any recommendations on the other detectors/cameras/sirens? I’ve seen a few discussions regarding an outdoor dummy box containing an indoor siren however I’m a bit concerned over the security failing if we have a power cut, however I could be worrying over nothing there…
Sorry this is such a broad set of questions, I’m just a bit lost on where to start. Once I get going I think I should be okay and I’m really interested in the WebCore which I’ve been reading about (and saw a very helpful video by RobinWinbourne). I’ve got some past experience with VBA, SQL and JS so that part looks quite fun to play with!
I’m really grateful for any advice you can give.