[ST Edge] Z-Wave Plus 700 series based Sensative Strips Sensors Driver [MANUFACTURER VERSION]

@krlaframboise I rebooted the hub, and one of the sensative strips started reporting (although it still shows 1% battery, which is weird - does it take a white to report the battery state?) Thank you for that!

The other one, though, did not show. I removed it, tried to re-add it - and now it refuses to re-add. It also refuses to factory reset.

Is it still showing 1% battery?

Are you able to get the other one to flash the led 3x when attempting to add/remove it?

I have had really bad luck with these strips and started removing them. They claim up to a 10 year life, but I started having mine die in under a year. They are willing to replace them for you when they die, but it is a huge hassle depending on where you mount these.

2 Likes

I replaced two of these this week after the batteries died and the new ones are not working well. The old ones worked fine in the same locations.

Both paired fine and passed initial testing. After that one of them never reported again but the tamper alarm now shows up. The other one does report open/close activity but says it hasn’t updated all of its status information and to check back later, it’s been saying that for 5 days. The tamper icon looks like it’s still waiting for a status. Both show 100% battery.

Neither came with the round magnet the directions say to use for resetting. I tried using the flat one that was in its place but nothing happens.

1 Like

Hello @Stephen_Johnson,

Please create a ticket on our website, and we will be able to help you: Contact Sensative

1 Like

Hello @uberrob,

Please create a ticket on our website, and we will be able to help you: Contact Sensative

1 Like

Hi @Stephen_Johnson and @Sensative

I did that and the response I got said to contact HomeControls. Contacting HomeControls the referred me to Sensative. Now what?

Feb 7, 2023, 09:01 GMT+1

Hi Rob,

Thanks for reaching out, please contact home controls for a replacement.

Before you do, please view the video below and check that you have performed the reset pattern correctly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWr9diDSNk

Best regards,

Also, like @blueyetisoftware I have been noticing a decrease in battery life with each new refresh of the strips. I never got 10 years but I at least got 4 - now I am regularly getting less then 18 months (sometimes less than 12 months) on each strip i buy.

I am also looking for alternatives, but some of my window casings are perfect for the size of the Sensative strips, but make other O/C sensors difficult.

Yep. But it’s working fine.

No. I can only get the single or double flash, no other LED response.

Yeah, because of the extremely shortened battery life of the Strips Guard 700 from the A/Bs (I am now regularly getting less than 18 months) I buy these things in packs of three to six now.

I cannot remember the last time that I took a strip out of the box and it immediately connected according to the instructions. Every single time I have to fiddle, reset, walk next to the hub, reset etc. It makes installing a new strip a painful experience, especially since they seem to all die in in large groups. So then I procrastinate doing it, more die during that period, rinse and repeat.

By the way, having to stand next to the hub to add the strip is crazy advice: walking next to the hub means you don’t have the same Z-Wave path that you will have when the strip is in its final placement location, which I find leads to problematic data from the strip itself. I usually have to do a repair Z-Wave network command after the placement, so that the Z-Wave network finds the proper path to the strip.)

1 Like

@Sensative I’m looking for some documentation on what the Settings mean in terms of behavior AND potential effects on battery life. Could you edit the top post or provide links to that detail?

I’m specifically interested in the Strips Comfort 700 Illuminance sensitivity 1- 8 but it would be ideal to get details on all of these for the Comfort and Guard.

Hi @LLwarrenP ,

The rule of thumb is, more reports sent equals shorter battery life. Regarding of the illuminance filters, a lower filter will result in more reports being sent.

I’ve updated the top post with the manual to all 3 products, they will explain each parameter. Please get back to us if you have any questions.

4 Likes

@Sensative, thanks this is some great stuff - really appreciate posting the doc links here in the forum.

My follow-up question is around what the practical effect making a change in the sensitivity will mean.

For example, take the illuminance setting on the Comfort. The default is 8 which is the highest filter meaning the fewest messages and 1 is basically for debug having the most messages, and would contribute to battery drain. This all makes sense. But, if I choose say 6 or 7, how would reducing the filter affect what ST receives…would that mean Comfort would report the illuminance value more frequently for smaller changes in illuminance? For example, with 8 it would wait for a change in 1000lux and with 7 it is 800lux, and so on or is it something different?

Let me know if the question doesn’t make proper sense!

A higher filter value means that the light sensor needs to be exposed to a change in light for a longer time before it sends a report. If you lower the filter value to 6-7, then Strips will be quicker to respond to a change.

2 Likes

Thanks for setting my thinking straight, this makes sense now.

2 Likes

SENSATIVE reached out to me via this forum and worked with me to try a few things before deciding the strips I got were defective. They sent two new strips that worked perfect after a couple of minutes setting them up.

Great customer service!

2 Likes

I had 3 sensative strips and the battery lasted around 4 years. Sensative support replaced two of them. One of the new ones is working fine, the other stopped reporting to smartthings and I was not able to get it paired again successfully.

So I decided I have to take it closer to the hub to get it paired. The glue is very good and I don’t have to worry about pairing it anymore as the picture shows. :smiley:

Yeah. They are super sticky. I had to remove a bunch a few months ago and about half of them ended up like that.

Don’t throw them out, I’ll have them!

Yes, the same thing happened to me. Vision3d

I’ve still got my stack of them as well. Both broken and intact. Batteries are fairly low.

1 Like