[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

I wonder if maybe this why I’m not seeing the option to add camera group.

Device groups are pretty well hidden at the moment. The public API reference admits to the existence of the GROUP type but that is about the beginning and end of any public acknowledgement of them outside the mobile app. If you list all the devices in your Location via the API you won’t find the GROUP devices included, even though you can access them individually when you know their deviceId.

I have been hoping lighting groups will become available through the API. All we really can do is just sit back and hope they make it available.

1 Like

Lighting groups, like scenes, don’t run locally though.

1 Like

Quick question
When I look in ide it shows all these new virtual devices as cloud execution not local.
Is that right ?

The IDE should be ignored. It no longer shows accurate information.

3 Likes

Fist off, thanks for your wonderful work! For those is us still trying to figure out the edge transposition, your community has been a lifesaver. I do have a question, I am using the virtual switch to connect to an IFTTT applet that gives me a smartthings on/off switch for my Govee TV backlight. From there, I import the smartthings virtual switch into Logitech harmony so that the backlight can be controlled from my IR remote when the TV turns on. The issue I’m having is that Harmony is failing to add the virtual switch because it can’t read the current state from the smartthings virtual switch (actual error message is: “Failed to receive state of [switch_name] — No Connection”). I can add any of my other physical smartthings switches successfully. I just cannot connect the virtual switch. Any ideas on why the Samsung Smartthings>Logitech Harmony integration cannot read the virtual switch current state? Let me know what logs or config information you might find helpful. Thanks in Advance!

If you have not converted your Harmony integration to the new edge compatible driver, then you need to get it. [EDGE DEVICE] Simple Harmony Bridge **Alpha Testing**

However, with that driver, you are no longer able to program button on the Harmony remote to perform ST commands. If you read through the thread I linked above, there are workarounds.

There are quite a few virtual switch implementations. Which one did you use to create your virtual switch?

Thanks for the instructions on how to add virtual edge devices. I have been trying to integrate my MyQ garage door opener since the demise of Groovy. I was able to do this with the hardware fix of using one of my remotes and a momentary Zigbee relay. To try and make this more like a garage door I added the virtual garage door device. I have added a bunch of automations to make the virtual device work, but it is not any better than my original solution. Does anyone have a use case or how to using the virtual edge garage door? I don’t understand how ON/OFF, Door (open/closed) door sensor (open/closed) should be used. It would make sense to me if there were no ON/OFF, and the virtual sensor could be tied directly to the physical door sensor. How is the community using this virtual object. I’d really like to be able to give Google Assistant a command “Open Garage Door” instead of “Turn on garage door”. Thanks for the help.

I have a virtual garage door working with a ZEN17 and a contact sensor. So my use case may not match yours, but here’s how mine works: I have 3 routines. 1 that controls the door: if virtual on or off then turn momentary relay on (I’m not sure on or off part is necessary rather than just on, but it’s working consistently as is). 2 routines to control the presentation of the virtual door. 1: If contact sensor open, then virtual door = open. 2: if contact sensor closed, then virtual door = closed.

I haven’t tried voice assistants. In the virtual door settings, do you have on=open, and that doesn’t open saying “open garage door”?

Can I ask how your relay works? You opened a remote and soldered wires from the relay to it?

Thanks William. I think my use case is similar if not identical to yours. My relay is set to be a momentary contact closure as well. I soldered two leads from the relay to a garage remote control I wasn’t using. I have four routines:
Set garage door open
Set garage door closed
Open garage door
Close garage door

These two routines keep the virtual door and the actual door in sync if something other than the relay opens or closes the door.
Set garage door open: if the contact sensor has been closed for 10 seconds the virtual door is set off/open.
Set garage door closed: Same thing except set the virtual garage door on/closed.

These two routines look at a mismatch between the virtual door and the contact and command the relay if there is a difference.
Open the garage door: If the command to the virtual door is open/off and the contact says it is closed, an on command is given to the relay opening the door.
Close the garage door: If the command to the virtual door is close/on and the contact says it is open, an on command is given to the relay closing the door.

I also have a routine to open the garage door based on presence.

It all works fine, but I’m not seeing much purpose is using the virtual garage door. The virtual device on/off, virtual door closed/open, virtual sensor all seem to be tied together. I have the switch/door synch set to on. I have tried it with the virtual device setting synch set to off, but it doesn’t decouple the virtual door and sensor. What I’d really like is the ability to tie the virtual sensor to the actual sensor and use the virtual door as a set point. I don’t think there is a way to write to the virtual sensor. The device on/off would just be an enable/disable (or not needed at all).

Thanks for adding the 2 devices!

While watching a Smart Home Solver video this past weekend, he showed the use of this driver.

His install showed version 2.9.
My install shows version 2.3, last updated February 1st.

Do I have the latest version and the label simply didn’t update?

Virtual device is the best. Solved google announcing when Aqara zwave sensor is open. Now any switch can make an annoucment. Also fixed leviton dimmer switch speed setting using google. Google didnt allow voice speed change, with the virtual switch it now does. Thanks!!!

1 Like

Hi - Just delete your vEdge Creator device and do an Add device / Scan for nearby devices to get it recreated. Then you should have the latest version of the creator device, which includes some additional virtual device types that you can create.

You can do this procedure without affecting your existing virtual devices.

3 Likes

Just verifying, there’s no way to change an existing vEdge device of one type to another vEdge type, is there?

No, there is no way to do that.

1 Like

Hi @TAustin, any chance to add a virtual vacuum device to this driver? Thanks in advance.

Other than a screenshot of things included in a Scene, is there any way to get a list of actions for them?

I manually replaced my vEdge switches with Lights to get the coupling of switch and dimmer. In the process I forgot a couple of scenes where they had been included. Very minor annoyance, certainly. But looking for help in case I throw in the towel and manually migrate my last dozen devices from DTH to Edge.