[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

When you try to uninstall the driver and get that error message the driver will automatically update with in a few minutes.

How long would you say is a few minutes, it’s been 15+

Usually my the time you get to the device it will be updated.

You don’t need to reinstall the driver. You can just delete the creator device only and then do an Add device / Scan for new devices. Then you will have the updated creator device. Your existing virtual devices won’t be affected by this procedure.

The reason you got an error trying to uninstall the driver is because you did not delete all the associated devices first. But you don’t want to do that anyway unless something is really botched.

1 Like

Hello @TAustin, I am new here and have been using ST for over 2 years. My light switches created using smartapps (virtual devices) stopped working in the last week. I have been searching on google since last 3 days and luckily I found this thread.
I have installed the virtual driver V2 and created vEdge creator V2.8 but my light controls do not seem to work. I have a few rooms and used different virtual device controls for each room. How do we create different vEdge creator for different rooms. After the first room it does not seem to create anymore.
thanks for your help in advance.

actually you only need one instance of the vEdge Creator - then create your individual virtual devices one at a time using vEdge Creator over and over and then move them to whatever room you like.

Thanks Steve, thats helpful for creating more virtual devices in rooms. But how will the virtual devices created recognise (sync) that they belong to that particular device as they don’t seem to be working.
Step followed:

• Installed virtual driver V2
  • Add/scan nearby and vEdge created.
  • Created 2 virtual switches using vEdge creator and moved to the room.
  • Virtual devices created dont work with the ST app.
    Thank you.

The virtual devices are independent devices.
They do not belong to any real device.

They can be operated in the SmartThings APP.

If you want virtual devices to work with other devices, you need to do automations in the SmartThings APP.

TapioX is correct - it sounds to me like your lights quit working because they were using simulated switches which are no longer supported.

You need to replace your simulated switches in your automation/routine with the new vEdge switches
you just created.

What’s the difference between creating a virtual device (switch) through vEdge creator vs a virtual switch in ST Android app (labs section). I know not everyone has access to this feature in the app but for those who do what is the technical difference? Thanks.

With vEdge Creator you get an Edge device that runs locally. A ST hub is required. This is the new architecture. The right device can trigger Alexa Routines.

With Labs you get a Groovy device that runs in the cloud. No ST hub is needed. The future of these devices is cloudy since they are groovy, but they should get converted at some point. These can NOT trigger Alexa Routines.

3 Likes

So even right now the Labs virtual devices that are newly created are Groovy devices? I didn’t realize that.

1 Like

I just created this one and it shows DTH.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say they are “Groovy” devices but they definitely rely on the cloud. Relatively few Samsung SmartThings customers have hubs, so this provides them a way to have virtual devices.

3 Likes

Thanks. I totally forgot that ST is not just for hub users.

2 Likes

Did I read that right ? :slight_smile:

At this point most of them are appliance customers- after all that’s why Samsung bought SmartThings in the first place. I think @JDRoberts has the statistics.

1 Like

Just based on the Google play store and Apple App Store, over 90% of smartthings app users don’t have a hub. They have a Samsung smart television, smart appliance, smart vacuum, or a galaxy phone. Maybe with the galaxy plus tag.

But even before that, smartthings staff said several times in this forum that most of their customers had 15 or fewer devices and never used any custom code.

It’s a mass market product, and people in this forum are a small minority of a small minority in terms of userbase.

By the way, someone who doesn’t have a hub can still have a nice home automation set up with Wi-Fi switches and smart plugs, a Wi-Fi smart lock, a ring doorbell, Arlo cameras, even Shelly sensors. And that will be even more true once matter devices are widely available.

4 Likes

Thanks JDR !!! I am an IRIS (Lowes) refugee and went with Samsung SmartThings because I felt that they would be the least likely to pull the rug out like Lowes did. ( In all fairness Lowes did reimburse us for all components at list price)

I agree that a nice home automation could be set up with WIFI but I kept hearing that if you have more than a few devices on WIFI it may be problematic and I wanted automations,routines, vocal announcements and central control with wall mounted control panels.

In my case I have over 40 devices, lots of automations and Tablets mounted on the walls running ActionTiles so anyone in the family can control it. Now that the FullyKiosk browser (DTH) is not supported - I have turned to Alexa integration for vocal announcements. Replacing my simulated switches with vEdge Virtual Switches and contacts is how I deleted STHM somehow and am on day five with no response from support.

Then again if the “Hub user base” is so small maybe they are understandably not assigning any priority to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @TAustin, I can find if this has been asked but is it possible to add a virtual device with like 20 copies of the switch capability? It might be useful where the states are only used for automations. In reading some of the more recent threads, it might be a win for some folks coming from more complex smartapps with device limit anxiety.

As always, you are a hero in this community and very much appreciate the time, contributions and, most of all, the curiosity of what could be accomplished.

Edit: clarity