[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

Something has changed in the platform or the app, since this issue is just now popping up on more than one driver, and this has never been a problem before.

Yeah, I’ll verify with the team more details about this issue and keep you updated. I just wanted to share the workaround that I used yesterday for my tests.

1 Like

For something like a button list, where you don’t want anything selected, how would you recommend it be initialized to get around this issue?

I’ve seen there’s no issue setting a value that is not among the alternatives in the list display type (before this last update), so, you could set a value like “select” when the device is just added.
I suggest you make some tests in a separate version of the driver, I don’t know what else was affected by the update.

1 Like

I haven’t tested to confirm, but I think this was broken in the last update. I have a driver where I occasionally set a couple capabilities to a single space. That used to work, but since the update they show as the broken cloud.

Thanks, I found a fix. If you are fast and pull screen down to update.
And manage to time it right you can hit The spoketwheel it will start working

1 Like

Glad you found a way to fix it for now. However, I’m going to make some updates to the driver to try and address this. Should be out in another day or two.

1 Like

I’m looking for a couple volunteers with Andriod phones to test a version of vEdge Creator that attempts to address the recent ‘broken cloud’ issue that appears in the mobile app for some of the device fields.

What I’m asking you to do is enroll your hub in a test channel, choose to install a test version of the vEdge Creator, and create a couple devices. This will not interfere with your existing driver or devices, and you can delete it all and uninstall the test driver when you are done. All in all, it should take about 15 minutes of your time.

@Robert_Olofsson, I’d love for you to try this especially since you were having the problem.

Please DM me if you are willing! Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I’ve had problems too when creating new devices. And have an Android phone. Happy to help but I can’t find this driver from your channel.

1 Like

I can give it a try.

1 Like

I’m seeing the ‘broken cloud’ GUI thing on vEdge Light on Android, and the vEdge Door on both Android and iOS.

I have a second hub I use to test lots of stuff on since I created most all of your vEdge devices to see what I could do with them so I’m happy to test. If your using the same test channel as the vWol I tested before, then I’m still enrolled in the test channel.

I’m happy to help

1 Like

I invited you to a separate topic where you can get the info for a test version of the driver. Hopefully you will not see those broken clouds with that version!

1 Like

Hi, @TAustin
Thank you for sharing vEdge Creator.
I was using it since last year,
today, suddenly not able to add devices any more.
Finally found there is V2!

Here is a question,
if I delete ‘vEdge Creator’ V1 from ST and uninstall it, will it affect devices I create by it?
Or is it not possible to delete and uninstall V1, because those devices are created by it and still using the driver?

Hello Ryan - You cannot uninstall a driver without first deleting all its devices.

But what you can do is install the V2 driver and get the creator device created with an Add device / Scan nearby devices. Then you can move your V1 device over to the V2 driver. You do that by tapping on the V1 device, then from the device Controls screen, tap on the 3 vertical dot menu in the upper right corner, then selecting ‘Driver’. On the Driver screen you can see the version (good to know), and at the bottom a button that allows you to ‘Select a different driver’. Tap that, and then you will see a list of all your Edge drivers and you can select the Virtual Devices V2 driver. Your devices should now continue to operate as normal under the new driver. Once you move all your V1 devices over, and you are sure there are none left, you can now uninstall the V1 driver from your hub (using the channel invite link).

Before you do this, please see my next post, as I’m about to push out an update to the V2 driver. You’ll want to be sure to get that update first.

TO ALL USERS OF vEdge Creator:

I am pushing out an update to the driver to address issues causes by a recent Android app update. The Android update was causing any device field with an uninitialized attribute to show the ‘broken cloud’ icon. In some cases this doesn’t affect the functionality of the device, and once that field was set with a value then the cloud goes away. However some of those fields were controls, like a button, and of course having the broken cloud wouldn’t allow you to use it.

I want to thank all the Android-user testers who volunteered to check out this driver update privately before I pushed it out to everyone. I think this update should address MOST issues, however there may be some lingering, so please continue to report them here.

Battery device: Please note that this update does not fix the previously reported issue with the power source not being available as an automation routine condition. This appears to be a platform bug.

Door device: This device has been reworked a bit to correct some issues. For any users of this virtual device, you will need to create a new device under this updated driver and delete your old ones. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Latest driver is now version 2022-06-20T17:00:12.227808021

5 Likes

Is there a guide to understand how the Virtual Drive port works? I find now that it has many more functions than what I am using, but I do not know them so before replacing it I would like to understand.

Maybe the translation got messed up here, but I think what you are asking is how does the Door virtual device work?

Basically there are two attributes supported for this device:

1. contact - to indicate whether the door is open or closed
  2. lock - to indicate if the door is locked or unlocked

The two additional switches (Contact Control, Lock Control) are there simply to give you a mechanism to control the state of the contact and lock.

As a default, the contact and lock can be controlled independently of each other. However it may be more convenient in some scenarios to have them automatically synchronized: whenever the door is open, it is considered unlocked; whenever the door is closed, it is always locked. To force this synchronization, there is a device Settings option ('Synch States") you can change to control this behavior.

Does that help?

2 Likes

sorry, google traslator is sometimes worse than my level of english. I should have read more carefully :-), Yes this helps me, it helps me to understand that it is not a new version, I simply used the virtual contact sensor and now I have mistakenly tried virtual door, but I don’t think it is useful for me. I only have a virtual sensor to time a lamp, I don’t need a virtual door sensor with locks. But thank you, I learned a new thing in case I need it :slight_smile:

1 Like