[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

You got it.

You are a God!

1 Like

I really don’t like contact features on various virtual devices since using a contact sensor creates some annoying clutter on the status information section of the Favorites page when the virtual contract is Open. That’s why I only have one virtual contact device and instead use 14 virtual motion sensors for Alexa integrating. And now that you added the ability to use all of the various SmartThings ICONs with the virtual motion devices, it’s wonderful. I do understand that virtual devices are mostly used by everyone for Alexa integration, but I just don’t like the status page showing all the virtual contacts Open.

2 Likes

So, I currently see three items, and I’m not sure how they map in things like Google Home, or the Smarthings UI, so I’m not sure how to answer this. But I can describe what I want a bit more? And answer more questions.

There is the on/off switch, there is the contact sensor, and there is the door closed/open.

I don’t think I even noticed that the door closed/open was something that you could interact with, but now that seems obvious.

Generally speaking, I don’t care too much if the ‘primary interaction’ for using the garage door from the main screens of Smartthings is the on/off switch or the open/closed switch, though, I would like it to be one of them instead of not having something you can press there at all, which seems to be the current state.

I do care that I be able to tell Google Home to open or close a garage door, and ask about the current state.

In either case, I don’t want the primary interaction to alter the state of the door itself, just change it’s own state, and let me drive automation from that.

But I do need to be able to drive the state of the door via automations, and I am perfectly fine if doing so alters the state of the primary interaction mechanism.

What I don’t want to happen is this: I tell it to close the garage door. The door state immediately changes, but something prevents the door from actually closing. I look at the app / google home, and it says the garage door is closed, even though the tilt sensor is correctly indicating that the door is, in fact, open.

Having the same kind of malfunction happen on opening is far less of a hazard, but it would still be nice to avoid.

NOTICE OF UPDATE TO VEDGE DRIVER

I am pushing out an update to the driver that contains these community-requested enhancements:

• Temperature/Humidity: new option in device Settings to select which you want shown on the dashboard (changes value and icon) (@mooch91)

• Presence: new option in device Settings to add contact (not displayed) for use in Alexa ‘When this happens’ conditions. present = open, not present = closed (@h0ckeysk8er); Note that I did not make the contactSensor a fixed part of this commonly-used device, but rather a configurable option - acknowledging @DaWeav’s comment about proliferation of virtual contacts and their state display on the Favorites page.

• Garagedoor: new option in device Settings to turn OFF synching between switch and door button; also added control to dashboard (@Pouncer - we can continue our discussion if this doesn’t meet your needs!)

• TV: added contactSensor capability (not displayed) for use in Alexa ‘When this happens’ conditions. on = open, off = closed (@h0ckeysk8er, @DaWeav)

The update will be automatically installed to your hubs. New driver version is:

2022-07-29T00:03:29.826948235

2 Likes

The update will be automatically installed to your hubs.

Note that the platform has been having problems all day and many people are still having problems with the app and with device control. I would wait to make/test any changes Until things have settled down. :thinking:

Good point. I seem to be back to normal but sounds like others still aren’t.

1 Like

My hub is online but none of my virtual switches are working

Other people have reported the same thing and the official status page says that some users are still being affected by the platform issues. I think until they put up the all clear, we just all have to be patient.

@TAustin some garage door openers come with electronic locks too. They can be open/closed, and locked/unlocked

Also almost all of them have light

Both TV and Presence are now showing up as Trigger events in Alexa now. Also, I would be good with making the contact sensor a configurable option for the TV just like presence. In fact, in general, I think it would be good for all virtual devices to have the option for a contact sensor be a setting the user controls.

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the feedback!

I suppose there must be more info in this long thread somewhere, but I couldn’t find it. Where can I find an explanation about how to use virtual devices other than virtual switches?

For example if I want to control dimming and color temperature for a group of lamps. I suppose I could use a virtual light or a virtual dimmer. But then how to use triggers to set the values of virtual device’s dimmer or color temperature to that group of lamps, if using the SmartThings app?

I can do this in SharpTools by using a context variable. But is it possible to do this directly in SmartThings?

Maybe I should add too that I’m in Sweden and have no access to the Smart Lighting smart app.

1 Like

For GE smart switches/dimmers/outlets/motion switches, community created Edge driver supports Z-Wave association groups. Association groups allow one device to mirror its behavior to up to 4 or 5
other devices.

I think we are on the same quest. I haven’t seen how to do this, either…

I’m thinking maybe the term “mirror”, in this case, is a dead end.

If I’ve learned anything, it’s that one momentary switch is not enough, on a single virtual device

@westis, @blkwll

Currently I think you can’t set values ​​on other devices from a edge driver, even though the devices are paired on the same driver. I don’t know if it could be done with edge LAN devices through the API, I’m lost on that.

It could be done with a smartApp, but groovy smartApps will go away and it’s not worth spending time on.

If what you need is to establish with routines fixed values ​​of color temperature and level in several bulbs:

• You can create scenes that set those values ​​on needed bulbs
  • Make routines that execute those scenes when they are needed or you can also execute those scenes manually whenever you want.

If you need to step down or step up the level and/or color temperature on multiple bulbs:

• You can create scenes that set the increase or decrease per step using the capabilities level by external steps and color Temperature by external steps.
  • Create routines to run those scenes or run them manually or with a multiple button by pairing each button action with a scene.

You could use the Zigbee Groups with zigbee multi button remotes, but I have no practice in that. There is information about that in other Threads

1 Like

You can copy dimming ( switchLevel ) from virtual dimmer to bulbs ( lamps ) using Rules API. I think, that it’s also possible to copy color temperatures. I have newer tested color temperature in my Rules APIs.

More about Rules API in Rules | SmartThings Developers

If you want use Rules API and you need support for using Rules API, you can make new chat topic for Rules API instructions.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response.

As it is, I mostly have what I need through routines, but there are just way more than I would like to have, but it works. Largely with the help of your drivers.

I think my misunderstanding with “mirror”, is this was also a term for a method I had used with some dimmer switches before, to have a lighting group reflect the state of the switch, but now I understand the meaning as it relates virtual device creations.

This thread has been interesting reading, in any case.

**Zigbee Groups is on my list to experiment with, as well!

1 Like

This might be the only best way to do so, absent Webcore. Its’ been on my “to do” list for about a year, maybe more. I may actually follow through at some point.

Thanks. Is there a particular advantage of using Rules API vs the SharpTools rule engine? Obviously the Rules API is more powerful, although the SharpTools rule engine is a lot easier to use. But rules are using the cloud regardless?