[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

Same issue as the last 2 posts (greyed out add options). I am on v2.5.

How do I update to v2.8? I thought version updates of this type were automatic for subscribed channels, but I’m probably wrong on that. Tried the ST scan for new devices and none were found. No other driver versions appear when I check in “select a different driver” option. (Sorry if this is covered already in this long thread). Haven’t had to touch the ST edge driver tools for a few months now;-).

You need to delete the virtual device creator (not the driver). It doesn’t mess up your virtual devices. Then scan for nearby devices and the v2.9 device creator will show up in the room with your hub.

7 Likes

Successfully created a few Virtual buttons using V2.9. All good, except for the “Window Shade” one. It appears on my ST app, but cant assign the “Open” and “Close” action.

I wish to use IFTTT to link up the Virtual Device “Window Shade” on ST app and Broadlink app to trider RF signal to open/close the curtain

The same thing works like a charm on Virtual Device - “Switch” and “Momentary Button”. Can someone help?
Thx

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this?

This works very well and I am super happy with this local switch app.
One note
These switches automatically went into sthm In my sensors used in away mode .
This has created many false alarms etc till I figured that out.
Just fyi.
And lastly a quick help page explaining the difference of all the switch types and what the three controls do in the app.
This has made a very noticable improvement in my home automation and dramatic reduction in latency.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. One of these days I really do need to create a help document as you suggested.

You can exclude specific devices from being included in STHM monitoring. See this post.

Yes thanks, I figured that out today.
Just a good thing for other users to know is when they create a bunch of virtual switches, they will automatically be added to the away mode sensors in STHM. Once excluded per your instructions, it all works great.

That only happens if you have selected to use all sensors. If you manually select individual sensors, new ones are not added.

Interesting: virtual devices created by this driver are not listed when viewing virtual devices in the API+ Browser.

There is a device type in SmartThings named VIRTUAL for native virtual devices (which haven’t really been launched yet). They also appear under the virtualdevices endpoint in the API. A similar thing happens with HUB and hubdevices and GROUP and devicegroups.

As far as the API is concerned the devices made using this driver are actually of type LAN.

2 Likes

I’m unable to see the list of channels or drivers using the Services category. I can drill down from my Hub and see drivers.

I just generated a new token to be sure I had, in fact, checked everything when creating it. Same (lack of) results.

Any clues?

Channels and drivers under the Services tab are the ones you own/created. You can see the installed drivers as you described. I don’t believe there is a list of channels similar to the CLI.

1 Like

I wonder if maybe this why I’m not seeing the option to add camera group.

Device groups are pretty well hidden at the moment. The public API reference admits to the existence of the GROUP type but that is about the beginning and end of any public acknowledgement of them outside the mobile app. If you list all the devices in your Location via the API you won’t find the GROUP devices included, even though you can access them individually when you know their deviceId.

I have been hoping lighting groups will become available through the API. All we really can do is just sit back and hope they make it available.

1 Like

Lighting groups, like scenes, don’t run locally though.

1 Like

Quick question
When I look in ide it shows all these new virtual devices as cloud execution not local.
Is that right ?

The IDE should be ignored. It no longer shows accurate information.

3 Likes

Fist off, thanks for your wonderful work! For those is us still trying to figure out the edge transposition, your community has been a lifesaver. I do have a question, I am using the virtual switch to connect to an IFTTT applet that gives me a smartthings on/off switch for my Govee TV backlight. From there, I import the smartthings virtual switch into Logitech harmony so that the backlight can be controlled from my IR remote when the TV turns on. The issue I’m having is that Harmony is failing to add the virtual switch because it can’t read the current state from the smartthings virtual switch (actual error message is: “Failed to receive state of [switch_name] — No Connection”). I can add any of my other physical smartthings switches successfully. I just cannot connect the virtual switch. Any ideas on why the Samsung Smartthings>Logitech Harmony integration cannot read the virtual switch current state? Let me know what logs or config information you might find helpful. Thanks in Advance!

If you have not converted your Harmony integration to the new edge compatible driver, then you need to get it. [EDGE DEVICE] Simple Harmony Bridge **Alpha Testing**

However, with that driver, you are no longer able to program button on the Harmony remote to perform ST commands. If you read through the thread I linked above, there are workarounds.