Sorry Smart Things, goodbye

I bought the hub in May of this year. Brand new. Problems from Day #2

So, again, you didn’t consider maybe you got a lemon and have it replaced under warranty? For what these retail for, it isn’t like they are manufacturing them to high standards. My bet is a small but significant number are probably faulty out of the box. It still makes sense for Samsung as replacing those units is cheaper than trying to tighten the quality.

I’d say ask Samsung to replace it. I bet it would fix many of your issues.

2 Likes

Based on your experience with the constant need to reboot your router gives me more suspicion your hub has an issue - like it is giving out crappy packets. It is amazing what one bad device on a network can do to the performance of the whole network.

4 Likes

Support told me the issue was with my quantity of devices occurring in automations. Didn’t think it was a hardware issue as I asked in my initial inquiry to them. The need to reboot didn’t start happening until recently. Maybe a software update? No idea and no point in trying to figure it out at this point

1 Like

when do these 250 behaviors reset? Is it daily, weekly, or monthly?

They don’t reset. It’s the total number of “behaviors” in custom automations and scenes you can add to your account through the new V3 mobile app. It’s the creation of the automation that adds to the count, not its execution.

Only scenes and the custom automation creator in the new app.

If you reach 250, you would need to delete some of your existing scenes or custom automations and then you would be able to add new ones until you got to 250 again.

edited to update, as @HA_fanatic noted below, that one custom automation or scene can have more than one behavior.

1 Like

It is my understanding that is based on number of actions/impressions that counts, within scenes and custom automations, and not the number of instances. So a custom automation could have one or more “behaviors” depending on complexity of the automation.

1 Like

Is this “impressions” affecting SmartLighting and WebCore atm?

This will severly limit us power users in the future, and Hubitat or another platform in the future. I hope I don’t have to do that as I’ve enjoyed my SmartThings experience overall and purchased a lot of equipment with SmartThings in mind.

1 Like

As reported by staff in this forum, smartlighting is not affected by the limits.

Although we’ve been told webcore should not be affected by this particular set of limits, there have been numerous reports in this forum in the webcore forum about webcore issues over the last few weeks.

Note that the limits issue that affect scenes prevent you from saving a new scene/custom automation in the new app. It’s not supposed to affect the actual running or timing of events. That seems to be something else.

I think you guys need to hurry up and increase that limit…

Or just go ahead and release the premium pay program.

6 Likes

I agree Smartthings is a really poor excuse for an app. I find it rarely works. Im not a huge Samsung fan to begin with with the exeption of their cell phones. Pretty much all my stereo and TVs are Sony. They all work with Alexa and Google. Not one item works with Smartthings. I recently bough a nice Samsung range and over the counter microwave which both are fantastic. The microwave has no wifi but the range does. I actually really did not want the wifi but it was the range I wanted and the price was right. So in comes Smartthings. Easy to setup easy to pair. The rest is awful! I can set up the oven easily but the slider bar for the temp is horrid. Its hard to get the temp dead on because the touchy slider bar? So anyhow once its all set you just hit send to oven but then you have to go to the oven and physically press start? As soon as it starts the app locks out everything? You cant adjust anything? Who starts a timer at the preheat stage? This could be the worst app I have ever seen! I emailed their support but when they got back to me I had already decided this was a waste of time. I have not used this junk app since! I really wish the Samsung ovens came with a stand alone app instead of this poor excuse smartthings!

I’ve been with Hubitat now for ~3 years and am MUCH more pleased than I ever was with Smartthings (whom I only reluctantly migrated over to when Wink sh*t the bed and before I did a little research). Hubitat is actually adaptable and are still doing updates and looking for feedback from the community. Much more interactive. The capabilities are far greater than my needs but it’s nice when I feel like tinkering to have the know-how and support in the community to figure things out. I might offend some still here and locked in and loyal to smartthings but it sucked for me and I can do what I wanted and then some with Hubitat

1 Like

I’m another longtime ST user, about 95% migrated to Hubitat. It took some time, but I’d say is worth a look. I relied on Groovy for Webcore, custom DTHs and apps etc. so really no choice.

I’ll leave ST with my Harmony integrations (for now) as I have quite an extensive home theatre thing going on and Harmony does not integrate quite as nicely with Hubitat.

Pretty much everything is now migrated to Hubitat including my Webcore solar pool automation stuff, flood sensors/water valve, most motion sensors, IKEA Tradfri lighting, locks, HUE lights. It was time consuming, mostly due to the 120 + count and variety of devices I have which required some web research to reset and rejoin. Hubitat takes a bit to figure out, but once under the hood it is miles better than ST, particularly for zWave bits which tend to be a PITA at times due to routing. Sure the GUI is not super sexy, but I don’t care about that…I just want it to work. It does work and it’s much faster than ST for sure with 100% local.

The new lighting app in HE is not sexy, but it covers just about anything you’d want to do with lights, and manages these in one place for all of your modes etc. The app is pretty snappy too when remote to the house network on LTE cellular and say opening my garage door…pretty much instant. Rules machine is pretty much local WEBCORE, so if you’re familiar with that, the learning curve is small.

If you just take your time and do a group or two of devices each day it goes well.

1 Like

You may already know this, but the official Harmony/smartthings integration provided by Harmony is a custom groovy smart app and it will die when the groovy cloud goes away. Logitech support has already confirmed that they will not be making a new version. :disappointed_relieved:

There is a very clever community-created Edge Driver substitute which you can use if you are still running a smartthings hub.

[EDGE DEVICE] Simple Harmony Bridge **Alpha Testing**

If you aren’t still running a smartthing/aeotec hub, The options are much more limited, and you might be better off with the Hubitat integration. But here’s a discussion thread on the alternatives:

Harmony After Groovy Without a ST Hub?

1 Like

My only concern about migrating to Hubitat is how long they will be around. They sell a $99 hub, and that seems to be their only revenue. How sustainable is the platform based on $99/ per customer lifetime.

With that said, I’m confident about a surge of folks leaving SmartThings given the total abandonment of years of work their customers have put into their platform, but still have concerns about the sustainability of their platform in comparison to some open source solutions.

Hubitat’s normal price is $159 now, with it currently on sale for $120. They also now have subscriptions for cloud backup and extended warranty IIRC. So maybe more sustainable business model than the past, but still a tiny company.

1 Like

$99.95 currently in the U.S., and I’d be willing to opt in for the subscriptions, but that doesn’t mean they’ll survive.

I have no problem buying a new device every few years, but it seems I am on the third leg of rewriting all of my handlers/behaviors, and that is getting REALLY old.

1 Like

HE will continue to run locally even if Hubitat, Inc goes out of business. No further updates but you could run it until there’s a hardware failure.

You might be better off with a commercial Home Automation platform. DIY will always have higher risks and more work on your part than a commercial integration platform with decades of experience. Look into Control4 or Crestron.

2 Likes

Oy, did not know that…jeeps creeps…I’ll be redoing Harmony scripts for a few hours now :frowning: Getting everything working on ST was literally months of work over the last 3-4 years, but the migration to Hubitat is more or less done after 2 weeks.

I’ll just port Harmony over to HE as well. If anyone wants a V2 hub for cheap…

HE, may be tiny, but I’m guessing business is good this month…ha. What I will say is after having a Hubitat C7 hub mostly idle for the last year, they are extremely active with firmware and code updates. I’ve used Vera extensively, ST extensively, and the Hubitat folks got it right IMHO…all the boxes are ticked for features that I was missing from Vera and ST.

I have one friend with an extensive Control4 setup and it’s not been good at all…pretty sure he dumped all of it in frustration.

1 Like

Well, after minor frustration finding out that the groovy retirement also breaks Harmony integrations (thanks @JDRoberts for the heads up!!), at least Harmony supports HUE directly…and all my theatre lighting is HUE…salvation. Also, the lighting home control buttons on our Elite 950 remotes can be reprogrammed with the direct HUE integration.

I wonder how many thousands of hours folks out there are going to burn up making all the broken stuff work again on different platforms?

1 Like